Fly Tying
troutslayerny

Favorite Hooks?

What brand of hook do you swear by?  

201 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I use mainly Gamakatsu.

I go through a fair number of their T10-6H for streamers.

I use a LOT of their weedless worm hooks like the 65112 for my bass and pike flies,

I've always tended to use Mustad hooks for fresh water, and now that I'm mostly tying and using salt water flies, I have no problem with their stainless hooks. I usually only go to other manufacturers when I can't find what I want in a Mustad hook, but I got a hell of an eBay buy on way too many Dai Riki 930s this summer and will give them a shot.

Anybody got an opinion on Mustad 34007 vs. DaiRiki 930?

--Bill

I think the Daichi are the best quality - at least in the trout size hooks. But they are kind of expensive. Don't like the Mustad at all. I think the Tiemco and Dai Riki are OK. I sometimes buy the bass pro brand as well and they are pretty decent and priced pretty well. I don't know who makes them for bass pro.

Just MHO.

Greg

My favourite hooks are Partridge and Kamasan.

I think one of reasons is that assortment in Lithuania is not wide.

I hope in winter I will buy some TMC from ebay and try to tie something ;)

I use mostly Daiichi and some Mustads. I definitely prefer the Diaiichi, because they are very sharp right out of the box.

A lot of you are mentioning cost in your decisions... what do you pay for your hooks typically per 10/25/100?

I'll buy Daiichi whenever possible. Sure they're a little more expensive,(actually if you buy by the 100pk they're not bad at all), but it's totally worth it.

Hi,

I voted for Mustad. I buy hooks that work, not because they're cheaper, but because they do the job. For my wet flies-soft-hackles I prefer Mustad 3399A. They're cheaper, and I've never had a problem of them breaking while fishing. They only thing one must do is sharpen them a little. And I've never had hooks rust unless I put them away wet.

Mark

Targus all the way. I'll fish basically anything that's chemically sharpened and strong. Targus is the same thing as Tiemco. Made in the same factory in Japan, same number system, half the price. They usually run about $5 to $6 for a 50 pack.

I have utilized Mustad exclusively, and have been satisfied with their price as well as overall quality.