Fly Tying
troutslayerny

Favorite Hooks?

What brand of hook do you swear by?  

201 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

My favorite is one that I can tye a fly on. lol.gif lol.gif

I don't have a good fishing shop to buy my stuff at so I have to rely on what I can find. Mustad mainly when I find the size I want or need and Eagle Claw.

For trouts and other small fishes, i'm using Partridge and Kamasan. When it comes to pikes, then it is nine out of ten times an Owner hook, other times it will be a Fulling mill.

Thight lines,

Jakob

I've always used the regular Mustad hooks. I've never had one snap off in the vise and never had one with an irregular eye. I've never lost a fish due to breakage. Best money in my opinion.

Fatman

I like mustads because that is what I learned on and I am familiar with most of their tying hooks. I don't understand all of the complaints about them...I have only found maybe 3 in a 1000 hooks to be a dud. Yes, I have had the barbs breakoff when pinching them down on some of their hooks. Now I buy mostly tiemco's because of their availability, and they are alittle less brittle than the mustads and usually very sharp. I have tried the daiichi's and dai-riki's and they are okay.

I am aware that mustad has manufacturing plants in China and a few other places around the world, so maybe that would account variences in quality dunno.gif

A.A.

Mustad or Tiemco depending on the hook. Tried some of the expensive hooks, did not see any differnence except a larger hole in my wallet.

Tiemco for everything type and size they cover. Mustad, Dai Ichi or whatever is available for the rest.

There is a lot to be said for picking one manufacturer--whichever one it is--and getting used to those proportions and characteristics. For example, one reason I stay away from Mustad's is the square wire they typically use. I find it harder to tie on, and can also be hard to slide a bead on for beadheads.

I pick Tiemco first; Gamakatsu when I can find them; Mustad because there is a large selection in local fly shops.

Flyuser

I got soured on Mustad hooks for freshwater in the late 80s and early 90s. You'd buy a box of 100 hooks and they'd all be mistempered or misformed. Contacted Mustad and they just blew me off. I switched to using Eagle Claws after that. I think since then I've had only one misformed hook from Eagle Claw (eye wasn't complete). I've never had a problem with Mustads for saltwater use though. these days there are a lot of high quality hooks available, and I've used most brands...

Mark Delaney