Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
SmallieKiller

Baby, you'll freeze out there...

Hey gang, just wanted to let everyone know that it's damn cold in Erie... I was up there yesterday and the fish are there, but so is the ice on the eyelets and the ice on the leader and tippet. I spent more time chiselling my line free of ice, than I did fishing early on.

I did manage to pick up 3, well 2.5 really, one was only about a 17in jack, the other two were in the 5-6 pound range, so the trip wasn't a total bust.

Right now the creeks are in awesome shape, perfect depth, perfect color, perect flow, just not to perfect water temp. I'm not sure what it was exactly, but the steelies I caught yesterday were hardly acrobatic or fiesty, they had a little fight in them, but not a whole lot.

If anyone is planning on hitting the tribs in the next month or so, don't bother heading out before 10 or so, unless it warms up dramatically. Everyone we talked to yesterday had the same response, nothing before 9:30, no real catch rate until after 11.

That being said, I'm sure I'll see some of you guys next month, I'm not sure about the forum trip just yet, need to see what's shakin with the Mrs. that weekend.

SK

Just wanted to post a couple pics from that day, these two are the same fish, but the two I caught from this hole were basically the same size fish, coulda been twin sisters...

user posted image

user posted image

Sign in to follow this