Fly Tying
MrFlyFisherGuy

Bull/Brown Trout Streamer Swap

Status update:

We are waiting for one more set of flies to arrive at my house.

MrFlyFishingGuy has had some personal/family complications and will be unable to complete his flies - we fully understand: family is more important than a swap. Everytime. This means that there are only 10 swappers, so you each will get two duplicates randomly selected. (No, I will NOT accept bribes!) I will just send out these duplicates and allow you individually to donate them if you wish.

Meantime, I have sorted the flies I have received and can finish up after I receive eastern fly's streamers sometime this week. I will be able to do that as soon as I get Kevin's and can post them the same day (since I can verify weights and postage). So we are indeed close!

After seeing all of the flies at once, and knowing what Kevin's will look like, I can predict that you all will thoroughly enjoy these streamers! I do not see a bad one in the lot. I don't even see a merely good one - they are all excellent. I expect that you will agree. Remember to release as many of the fish as you can, otherwise this swap will be responsible for a huge decline in Brook/Bull Trout populations! :) I wouldn't want that on my head. :blink:

So my next post should be to tell you that the flies are on their way back to you.

Jimboha!

...I haven't forgotten... I'm still waiting. Should be on their way now but I have not received confirmation.

Let me know if anyone's patience runs out.

Jimboha!

The final set is in! As predicted, Kevin's Articulated Copper Pheasant is fabulous! Yes, that means, "the stuff of fables." I pity the poor Bulls and Browns in any waters you drop these babies. I think we can say the same thing of all the other streamers in the swap!

I will finish the distribution tonight and will send all fly boxes out either tonight or first thing in the morning. Some of these streamers are big and some of your boxes are small, but I shall try to make sure they all fit somehow and arrive safely to you.

Please let me know as they start arriving!

Thank you again (and again!) for a wonderful (first) swap!

I will also take a few pictures of the group and any individuals that haven't already been posted as requested by Polarbear78. Though I'm afraid that might make him sad to have missed out.

Jimboha!

Update: I did take the envelopes of swap boxes to the Post Office on Thursday night, so they are all on their way!!!

Some of you might see them by Monday. In any case, would you please let me know here that you received them?

To prevent the occurrence of a torn, empty swap envelope being delivered (as has happened to some in the swap before) I have reinforced all the envelopes with tape along the edges, and sometimes across the face. I myself have received too many torn envelopes from the USPS to not do this as a matter of fact. Please let me know if the envelopes are still torn enough to allow the contents of fall out - I will give some firm feedback to the post office!

I will try to post a photo or two tomorrow.

As already established, this has been a very fun and exciting swap for me, and I expect it will be for you as well. Please let me know if it is otherwise and we'll see what we can do to fix it.

Lastly, many of you included extra flies earmarked for me - the SwapMeister. I thank you most heartily and I tried to thank you individually via PM, but fear I've missed some. They will be put to good use! I did not mention this publicly earlier because I did not want anyone to feel 'obligated' to include extras for the SM. I recognize it it as a nice gesture and thank you again.

Thanks Jimboah for an awesome swap. My swap flies came in today. Other than being a little crammed in the small box, the look Amazing. Everyone did a great job. This is only my third swap but....WOW!!! I'm going to have to get another fly box just to hold these guys. I'd also love to get the recipes/patterns for these guys. If you are willing to post them or a link to a pattern recipe, it would be appreciated. I can't wait to get out and fish some of these bad boys. Hopefully the fire near my home and favorite fishery won't wipe out the fishing.

-Ben

Nice bunch of streamers in my mail box this afternoon. Thanks Jim for hosting and thanks to all the tyers for a great job. I am looking forward to getting these wet. B)

Ack! Here's a BLURRY! photo of the swap flies. And I forgot to include the Mickey Finn! I have some sharper individual photos that I can post later, but don't have time at the moment.

post-37740-0-98446800-1339479782_thumb.jpg

Left column:

eastern fly - Articulated Copper Pheasant

avril - Double Gonga

MTFlyJunkie - JJ's Special in a size 6

Middle column:

border collies - Dolly Llama

benmz - Zonker style streamer

MTFlyJunkie - skittering smolt #4

Right column:

Jimboha! - Rapid Muddler

djgunter - Peacock Streamers

fishingbobnelson - Harris Special

Ebrant10 - Black Ghost

MIA:

Jimboha! - Mickey Finn

Jimboha!

Got my flies in the mail yesterday VERY NICE ties everyone I was very happy that I decided to tie 2 patterns and get the doubles. Very impressed can't wait to fish them thanks again for hosting this one

By far, one of my favorite swap flies. Going on a float trip Saturday so these will see some action soon. Great set of flies. Thanks again Jim for all your hard work.

All right! More than half the streamers have been delivered. Didn't I tell you these flies were awesome!!! I'd expect the rest of you to get yours very soon.

Since you're going to take these babies fishing soon, Avril, I would remind you and the others to keep us informed of your success. It turns out that there is a "Fly Swappers Tribute" topic where people show photos of fish they've caught with swapped fies. Please feel free to post photos either here or there, but if you do it on the Tribute topic, drop a line here so we can know to look there.

Jimboha!

PS I'm also going fishing Saturday and plan to hike/snowshoe back into Rapid Lake - we'll see if these streamers can waken those brookies from their winter slumber. If yours don't work (I can't imagine that!) then I'll just toss out my Rapid Muddler...

Got my flies in the mail yesterday VERY NICE ties everyone I was very happy that I decided to tie 2 patterns and get the doubles. Very impressed can't wait to fish them thanks again for hosting this one

Yes, I, too, tied two sets to help get our numbers up, so I got doubles also. This, in addition to the extras that some people included for the SM, that I didn't fully expect. So I've got a lot of streamers. Like I think I said earlier - I'm going to have to get a new (streamer) fly box.... I can't imagine going somehwere where streamers would be useful without having ALL of these available. Then I NEVER like to have only a single copy of one pattern on hand. Yikes - I think my backpack weight just went up another 5 pounds!

Jimboha!

Alright! We have all flies delivered and acknowleged except 3 - well, actually 2.

1. djgunter and I are working out a delivery plan to Hong Kong. So his haven't even been sent yet.

2. eastern fly - How about you, Kevin? Do you have streamers?

3. border collies - I seem to think you're in Colorado. They should be there by now. Any flies?

Jimboha!

Alright! We have all flies delivered and acknowleged except 3 - well, actually 2.

1. djgunter and I are working out a delivery plan to Hong Kong. So his haven't even been sent yet.

2. eastern fly - How about you, Kevin? Do you have streamers?

3. border collies - I seem to think you're in Colorado. They should be there by now. Any flies?

Jimboha!

Yes I thought I posted it. I looked back and didn't see it sorry.

Kevin

Yes I thought I posted it. I looked back and didn't see it sorry.

Kevin

All right! One left - plus Dan in Hong Kong - until this swap is oficially finished. Not that I want it to be over, but the swapping part is accomplised.

Now I am free to fish these babies!!! Ooops, border collies?

Jimboha!