Fly Tying
MrFlyFisherGuy

Bull/Brown Trout Streamer Swap

Good looking flies jim, what's the body?

Evan,

The body is buck tail, red, white, and either natural, brown, olive, or black (depending on how I feel at the time) wrapped sparsely with some gold mylar tinsel and a couple pieces of thin pearl flash dangling off (when I remember it!). The wing is deer hair, with a spun deer or antelope hair "head" behind a black nickel bead. Sometimes I use red poly yarn instead of red buck tail.

I tie 'em a little bushy and long. That ways the first few short-strikes can trim the length in ragged looking way (or you could trim yourself with scissors but it's hard to get a natural-looking feathered appearance).

Jimboha!

Dolly Llamas are coming along nicely and should be ready to be sent out early this week. I had a question for you guys. I tie them with just an open loop on the back to attach my own hook when I get to the river to meet local hook-gap regulations/match the size of the quarry I'm fishing for. Do you want me to leave the hooks off of these so you can put them on yourselves or would you like me to go with a moderate size hook and send them that way? I put up a picture of both ways. The hook is in the one on the right and not the one on the left. Let me know what you'd like.

post-37528-0-17036500-1335754800_thumb.jpg

Dolly Llamas are coming along nicely and should be ready to be sent out early this week.

Do you want me to leave the hooks off of these so you can put them on yourselves or would you like me to go with a moderate size hook and send them that way?

Flies look great!

Question for you: Do you mean for each tyer to specify "with hook" or "without hook"? Or do you want a vote that applies to all? And what will you do if someone doesn't specify - include the hook? Please PM me if these are hard questions to answer.

As SM I can handle either way so long as I also know what the requests are so I can make sure to get the right fly type to the right tyer.

As for me personally - I would prefer the hook pre-installed. I don't fish waters with such rules.

Jimboha!

Good looking flies jim, what's the body?

Evan,

The body is buck tail, red, white, and either natural, brown, olive, or black (depending on how I feel at the time) wrapped sparsely with some gold mylar tinsel and a couple pieces of thin pearl flash dangling off (when I remember it!). The wing is deer hair, with a spun deer or antelope hair "head" behind a black nickel bead. Sometimes I use red poly yarn instead of red buck tail.

I tie 'em a little bushy and long. That ways the first few short-strikes can trim the length in ragged looking way (or you could trim yourself with scissors but it's hard to get a natural-looking fathered appearance).

Jimboha!

Thanks Jim, they look like they will imitate great! Ill have to tie some up when i get your s to work off of.

Border Collies, those are great looking! The only hook regulations i run into in catch and release zones which is a matter of smashing the barb, so my vote goes hook on as well.

I just received fishingbobnelson's flies, the first batch in.

Go take a look at the photo he posted earlier - these flies look even better in person! Yes sir, this is a fine swap we have going on here.

Jimboha!

Sounds like a great plan, border collies. I'm looking forward to seeing them in person.

Jimboha!

Anyone else willing to post a photo of your entry for this swap? You should probably have one or two tied by now, let us see! Or, it's OK, too, if you want to surprise us.

Jimboha!

Here's a sample of what you'll be getting. I've only used this fly 2 times for a total of 15 minutes. It landed one rainbow and the other time it was the only take I had in 2 hours.

size 8 3xl streamer hook

tungsten cone

lead wire

red thread

blue wire, left hanging

pearl estaz

sculpin olive zonker strip 2x hook shank

wrap blue wire around zonker strip, trying to separate hair so as to tie down on the leather

tie off wire and build red collar to imitate gills.

coat with clear nail polish

These flies are heavy to get down deep and stay under in faster currents.

I've got a few more to tie. Hopefully will be out be beginning of next week.

-Ben

post-36545-0-52130600-1336187592_thumb.jpg

Benmz,

Your Zonker style streamer looks, well - I think MTFlyJunkie put it best - awesome! And with a track record like that, I can't wait to take it swimming, er, I mean fishing.

MTFlyJunkie,

Nonsense! You should not feel embarrassed - at least, none of us have that in mind as we share photos of our flies. And remember, it is NOT how the fly looks to us - that's only how the STORES sell them to the fisherman! :lol: Rather, it's how they look to the fish, under the water.

So, just tell us how many fish you catch with them, that's all we care about! :) And do feel free to post a picture. I'm sure they're much better than you think. And we definitely wouldn't want ANYBODY to drop out for fear of embarrassment.

Jimboha!

And what about our TBD's? Any progress on determining a good swapping streamer?

What say avril, eastern fly, and djgunter? You must have some tied by now? You can just post a picture and let us guess what it is!

Jimboha!

PS Dan - you're not changing your entry, are you???

Sorry that I've been MIA but I have not forgotten this swap. I've been going back and forth between a "Double Gonga" and "Dirty Hippy" . Both are very effective streamers. Maybe we should have a vote with majority rule??

Streamers are looking great everyone!

post-19551-0-95847400-1336494018_thumb.jpg

post-19551-0-74730600-1336494040_thumb.jpg

post-19551-0-44504300-1336494026_thumb.jpg

Sorry that I've been MIA but I have not forgotten this swap. I've been going back and forth between a "Double Gonga" and "Dirty Hippy" . Both are very effective streamers. Maybe we should have a vote with majority rule??

Streamers are looking great everyone!

post-19551-0-95847400-1336494018_thumb.jpg

post-19551-0-74730600-1336494040_thumb.jpg

post-19551-0-44504300-1336494026_thumb.jpg

Both look awesome! I vote for the "dirty hippy".