Fly Tying
Crotalus

What hackle brand and where to get bucktail?

Thanks Paul.

If i dont find any good tails at the Somerset Fly Fishing show I think I will give the Primo tails a shot.

I did pick up a few of the Whiting Bugger packs and really like them for the flies that I am tying, reasonable price and lots of feathers.

Joe, there is a local shop by me (The Michigan Musky Shop). They sell very large, long bucktail for I think $4.99. Its all I use and with 25 different colors I cant complain. Maybe worth giving them a call. If not, even Bear's Den has some extra large stuff. To me, Primo Tails are just a rip. I think its $20 a tail!!

Now hackle, thats another story. Im having a tough time finding real long stuff, especially in colors I want for Musky ( I love red grizzly). Last good stuff I got was from Keough at the midwest fly tying expo. I just bought a whiting rooster saddle and its not too shabby. Probably 8" feathers.

Primo, will be my last resort, i think the undyed tails are $10 and dyed are $15, not sure that they are 2-3x better than what I can get with some searching though. That is why I will wait until after the Fly Shows.

One of the bucks shot at our camp this year had a great tail on it. I asked the guy that shot it if i could have it and he said yes. Of course when i left two days later I forgot it, hopefully he saved it for me.

Wow!! $20 for a bucktail?!? Yea that is hijacked for sure and gotta be stupid to pay that much for it!

Have to check out that store when I go up that way. May be next week if I can score on a kayak deal.

Hahaha! Ben I am looking for the same thing to Red, orange and olive grizzly and everything is darn short! Ugh!

Wow!! $20 for a bucktail?!? Yea that is hijacked for sure and gotta be stupid to pay that much for it!

Have to check out that store when I go up that way. May be next week if I can score on a kayak deal.

Hahaha! Ben I am looking for the same thing to Red, orange and olive grizzly and everything is darn short! Ugh!

Yeah its a bummer.. I just think its a little weird the "popular" musky tyers always seem to have it. Did they stock up or since they are connected is somebody getting them the "good stuff". Primo-hackle is cool too, but $25-30 for basically a few feathers.. No thanks.

A lot of musky guys up in MI have resorted to articulated patterns. If you are using 5-8" feathers on both hooks it will end up long and work just fine.

There's a woman on some of the NE saltwater forums whose family owns a meat-cutting business in Pennsylvania. After the deer season she sells the bucktails they've accumulated - last time I bought some, they were $7 each, and the quality was excellent. I'll see if I can track her down and ask if she's gonna be doing it this year. The only hitch is you'd have to dye them yourself if it's color you want.