Fly Tying

Do you use CCG to attach the beads to the mono? Great stuff. I'm not sure but I think Dave is hitting on you :wub:

Nice job Kirk. Good to see I'm not the only one who's addicted to eye making. The color combinations you can come up with are endless. I'm already on a first-name basis with the lady who owns the local beading shop.

Dave, flattery will get you everywhere but better not let my wife read that. Thanks.

AGN, gotta watch those beach bum surfer guys...

I use 30 minute cure epoxy after hitting them with a drop of CA glue to keep them in place. After I string up the eye stems, I lay them flat and put a piece of tape across the cut ends opposite the beads, pull it up from the desk and put a piece of tape on the other side to cover the stickyness. I then have a strip of tape with eight to ten eyes hanging down. I'll hold the tape in the vise with the beads facing down and apply a drop of CA to each eye and dab off any excess. Then I'll cut the tape so I have paired eyes and I'll apply the epoxy and put the taped pair in the turner clip and it turns and the epoxy levels out.

Thanks Peter. I can see how I could go crazy, but I'm gonna try and stick with this color combination and maybe all black. I need to find some plastic 2mm black beads, the shop I go to only goes down to 3mm with the black.

Kirk

Kirk, great stuff as always! The transparent coloring, is that just the epoxy color, or are you adding something to get that color. I've added mixed dye & alcohol to color epoxy, just wondering if you're doing the same. :)

Hey Tide, Thanks.

I'm using an opaque black bead on the end and a translucent orange/pearl glass bead below. The black is 3mm and the orange glass is 10/0 size.

I'd really like to get a 2mm black plastic for the tip. I've got some black glass but I like the way the melted mono fuses with the black plastic bead on the end. With the glass bead on the end, when you melt the mono, it creates a "stop" but does not stick to the bead.

Kirk

Great stuff Kirk. I have thought about placing a small refective circle on top of the bead, before the epoxy. Have you ever hit a live shrimp's eyes at night with flashlight? It might be something fish would key on, or it might just be an extra step that is a pain in the arse for nothing.

Fred

It might be something fish would key on, or it might just be an extra step that is a pain in the arse for nothing.

Fred

Fred, you just described three-quarters of what we do. Nothing's ever complicated enough to satisfy a fly tyer.

It might be something fish would key on, or it might just be an extra step that is a pain in the arse for nothing.

Fred

Fred, you just described three-quarters of what we do. Nothing's ever complicated enough to satisfy a fly tyer.

Spoken like a true kindred spirit.

Fred

That is true and of all people, Fred.

Fred, you meticulously melt joints in mono for bug legs and put glue on kleenex to make fly wings, carve scales on foam snake head sliders and you think a little flec of glow tape would be a pain. You realize how funny that is, you must be trying to throw us off the trail of a great idea that you intend on putting into production!

Kirk

Fred

That is true and of all people, Fred.

Fred, you meticulously melt joints in mono for bug legs and put glue on kleenex to make fly wings, carve scales on foam snake head sliders and you think a little flec of glow tape would be a pain. You realize how funny that is, you must be trying to throw us off the trail of a great idea that you intend on putting into production!

Kirk

No actually it just came to me. Although a shrimp eyes usually show an orange/gold reflection like that of a frog. May have to do some experimenting to get close.Just kinda wondering out load , so to speak, if it's worth the effort.

Fred

I was thinking you might get some kind of reflective quality by putting a tiny sequin in back of the bead. The smallest ones I can find are 4mm, but there might be some smaller ones on the jockstrap I wear every year in the 4th of July parade. Wonder where my wife's hidden it this year.

I was thinking you might get some kind of reflective quality by putting a tiny sequin in back of the bead. The smallest ones I can find are 4mm, but there might be some smaller ones on the jockstrap I wear every year in the 4th of July parade. Wonder where my wife's hidden it this year.

Duuuuude :unsure: 1jock2-2.jpg