Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
eastern fly

First Tube Fly

Ok this is a new area for me. I got my Eumer tube fly tool today. I dont have a JC as of yet so I had to sub for that. Please let me know what you think and what I need to fix.

Kevin

post-3866-0-04481100-1335489914_thumb.jpg

Really sweet and nice!

As for JC, you can take any feather(Pheasant Body) with a off color and dot paint on them like we do popper eyes for the same effect without the costs.

Thats a good idea. I also plan on thinning out the Starlings around my house. I seen somewhere you can sub there feathers for JC. I also need then for soft hackles.

Good fly. The true JC eyes have an irredesence thats hard to get from subs. I don't use them on most of my flies and it doesn't effect my catch rate that I can tell. I always include a wee bit of flash somewhere which I think does the same thing.

I try to start off keeping the fly moving slightly faster than the water. So in fast flows a figure 8 might be all I do just to keep it pulling, in slower flows or when the tides resting before the turn I'll often strip arm lengths of line at a time. But if the waters cold with snow melt or cold water entering from a dam etc, you might want a heavier tube and mend the line to slow it down.

Majority of time I prefer fast but I will try both retrieves during a session if fish don't come to the fast fly first.

Trouts prefer drifted while all others including salts have been much Better result stripping.