Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

Jig Style Hooks?

I was reading through the most recent Fly Tyer magazine and they had the article about the Striper flies. I noticed the author in each of the patterns in the article used what I believe he called "Jig Style Hooks" where the hook eye is vertical instead of being horizontal like most fly hooks that I have seen.

Does anyone know why these type of hooks are being used and what the advantage is over the "regular" hooks?

Are you talking about the Flies that Rich Murphy has?.. His article.. He gave me some of those hooks and they have a bend hook eye and great for shrimp flies.. I forget the name but I will get it. My article in "Fly Tyer" on the Crab Apple and Flounder Around will be publish in the Spring issue. I got an e-mail from David Klausmeyer the editor and he gave me that info... but like everything else... I will believe it when I see it.

Yea I think it was Rich Murphy. Here is some flies that I found using the style of hook that I'm talking about

user posted image

Do you know of any advantage or why these type of hooks are used? I've never seen a hook like that used on a fly and I'm somewhat curious as to why these hooks are used.

Not speaking for Murph, but knowing a bit about his innovative style and the patterns mentioned in Fly Tyer, RM Sting is a weighted shrimp, designed to dive, to "jig" up, down, to swim backward on the retrieve.

See the black barbell weights he ties in at the leading, upturned end? - the shrimp, the RM Defense Crab and the RM Soft Short are all patterns of species which swim backward. The upturned or bent eye helps to make these grub, dig sand and retrieve like their natural counterparts swim.

I think Striblue's new Burrowing Sand Eel employs this type of hook for much the same reason.

Dave is correct... but the burrowing eel does not have that... but it would work well since the center of gravity is increased downward with the use of that hook.

The 60 degree bend in the hook also helps increase the "weedlessness" of the fly. You can often get away fishingthem without a mono weedguard. A lot of the more effective flies for the marshes in Louisiana use this style of hook.

Mark Delaney

Man that really gets me excited about tying up some crayfish patterns for the Smallies!

Does anyone know of a decent place to buy these hooks from? I have never seen them locally

Smallie,

We bend some streamer hooks to get that style, but you can buynthem also. I'll ask one the guys down here who ties a ton of flies using that sytle hook where he gets them and whate model #. may take a few days to get the info.

Mark Delaney

Got hold of Ron quicker than i thought....he uses either Mastad 34007's that he bends the shaft on himself, or Eagle Claw EC 413 60 degree O'Shaugnessy jig hooks that he orders from Cabelas. The Eagle Claws are available in sizes from 2 to 7/0. Cabela's online order number is Item 10-116673 (at www.cabelas.com). hope this helps.

Mark Delaney