Fly Tying
TOM PRUETT

Size 28 problem

Thead keeps breaking for no reason!! Iam using ott 20 Thead and its new .And iam wondering if there can be micro burs on the hook ! Has anyone eles had this happen?

post-25665-0-44105500-1335587395_thumb.jpg

Well sir, the only time I've ever had that happen was when I purchased some cheap discount hooks off of ebay that were a size 24 and were pretty rough dry.gif

I had this problem with some cheap bobbins from ebay - I thought £1 each was too much of a bargain!

Rough edges to end of spindle. Thread broke where it leaves the spindle. Bought some decent ones and hasnt happened since.

Simon

The way your hook is loaded in the vise, I cant see how you can tie without rubbing the thread against the jaws. After a few 1,000 flies, I dont really think the jaws on my vise are all that smoothe. Just an observation.

Take a cotton Q-tip and troubleshoot. My theory is you may be hitting hook point which is like a knife to your thread.

Hi Tom,

Where is the thread breaking? Is it breaking right at the hook, coming out of the bobbin, or is it snapping some place in between? If it's the thread, it may just be a bad spot. Just pull a couple of feet off and try it again. Like others wrote, your hook is at a strange angle. Your thread shouldn't hit or rub on anything while your tieing. What type of thread is it? GSP type thread is good for small stuff since it has really good Tensile strength. Before they came up with really small thread, a lot of folks would just use some filaments from a strand for flies that small.

Regards,

Mark

An alternative answer is that you have a bad spool of thread. It Happens! I once had a shop owner, when engaged in conversation on this subject, excuse himself and step into his backroom to reappear with a large (1500 yd spool, as I recall) of Courtland 20# Dacron backing and proceed to break it off as if it were 6/0 tying thread. He was anxiously awaiting the next cal from his Courtland Rep. In my 42 years of tying, I have had two spools of tying thread with this defect, and both were bought at the same time. So, possibly of the same 'batch'.

Bobbin is a new one ..RITE SHORTY BOBBIN,Ceramic Thread Tube.it breaking @ the hook these are new hooks from mustad , as for the tread ott /20 UNI-Caenis 200 yds,den made in Italy, The tread in my hand will not break easy .It takes a bit of force for ott /20 .. The midge jaw is new just got it friday .But getting the hook in the jaws is not that easy because its SO SMALL !! I will try to reseat it makimg sure the point in not out all :)