Fly Tying
wyattsjigs

What vise should i get?

32 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

If i dont have the brand you think is the best. Post on here and tell me what the best one is. I want it to be rotary and able to tye small flies. Nothing over $325. Thanks

You can get a nor-vise with midge jaws for around 300$. If you are doing mostly drys and streamers. It would be ideal.

I pretty much tye all nymphs and drys. That is the vise i was thinking about to. Thanks

I voted for the Nor-vise. I have been using one for about 25 years now. I have stopped using any other vise. I have a traveling setup for my Nor-vise, so now it goes where I go. I am obviously satisfied with mine, but before you purchase ANY vise costing $300+, you should try it out. Find someone that sells what you think you want, try it out. Your listed options are all fine, but you have left out some major players. Dyna-King, and HMH both make superb vises. The J vise has a good following, and is another top end vise.

This topic comes up over and over again, if you look at the pinned topic "What Vise do you use," you will see that "Other" is used by more people than any other single name brand. If you look at that topic, and some of the others about vises, I think you will see that we all have our likes, dislikes, and opinions. You are the only one who can make the final choice as to just what vise has the features you want, need, and will use.

I have over $1000 tied up in 6 different vises, most of that in just two. Many of my old vises are still in use by friends and family members. There are a great many options to choose from, and they are almost all very good tools, and will last you many years.

Remember its the Indian not the arrow.

go to your local fly shop and try out the demo vises. only you can decide what vise works best for you.

DO a search on here and read the thousands of posts about vise opinions.

There is no BEST vise, and nobody can tell you which one you SHOULD get.

Totally agree. Get what you want and can afford. They are ALL perfectly capable of holding a hook. As I said earlier, I'd stay away from the ubercheap Indian made vises, but that's up to you.

Whatever you do, DO NOT LOOK AT THE JVICE AT JVICE.COM

I own many vises but prefer the Renzetti Traveler (I own two) for cost and reliability.

BUT -- everyone has their own favorites.

One mandatory requirement on your budget is that you get a TRUE rotary vise.

Whatever you do, DO NOT LOOK AT THE JVICE AT JVICE.COM

What problems have you had with JVICE?

I voted for the Nor-vise. I have been using one for about 25 years now. I have stopped using any other vise. I have a traveling setup for my Nor-vise, so now it goes where I go. I am obviously satisfied with mine, but before you purchase ANY vise costing $300+, you should try it out. Find someone that sells what you think you want, try it out. Your listed options are all fine, but you have left out some major players. Dyna-King, and HMH both make superb vises. The J vise has a good following, and is another top end vise.

This topic comes up over and over again, if you look at the pinned topic "What Vise do you use," you will see that "Other" is used by more people than any other single name brand. If you look at that topic, and some of the others about vises, I think you will see that we all have our likes, dislikes, and opinions. You are the only one who can make the final choice as to just what vise has the features you want, need, and will use.

I have over $1000 tied up in 6 different vises, most of that in just two. Many of my old vises are still in use by friends and family members. There are a great many options to choose from, and they are almost all very good tools, and will last you many years.

Remember its the Indian not the arrow.

Thanks for all the information.

That post about the J Vise, was his attempt at "reverse" psychology. He loves the J Vise. It's a very nice well built vise, but it is above your target amount.