Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
IRITEI

Colored sponge rubber bodies

New member to this forum Awesome site! Question: What ever happened to the colored sponge rubber bodies that were available by most suppliers especially Netcraft. They (Netcraft) told me their supplier no longer made them. Only black and white are available. Was this the only supplier for the whole industry? You would think somebody somewhere would offer some. For spring gills on a #12 hook they were great,esp. the flo. orange.

i dont know

i just shape my own using craft store foam and a pair of scissors. usually just a rectangle with one end trimmed to a point.

try a different vendor. maybe the sponsor on this site has some

I think there is only one guy that has this special multi-angled cutter that kicks out those "spider" bodies and he supplies the industry although there may be more than one but it seems odd that all the places that used to sell multi-colors only sell black and white. Even WAPSI and Cascade Crest only sell the black and white and those two manufacturers alone supply at least half if not more than the entire fly tying retailers industry.

I was told by Cascade Crest's owner, when I asked about the different colors, to just use the white and color with a sharpie.

Kirk

IRITEI, you have to understand that fly tying is a very small market. Much of what we use comes from other industries, such as crafts.

The various plastics are primarily petroleum based, and as the price of petro goes up, so does the price of everything else. Probably was simply supply & demand, with not enough demand. I used to buy those colored bodies from E Hille & Co in Williamsport Pa, but don't believe they're still in business. I read they had a fire at their shop & haven't got things going since.

They used to have some green & some yellow too, which worked well for me. But, frankly I've done better with black or white bodies.

Sheet foam comes in many, many colors, so why not just give that a try. Or as Kirk said, just color the white bodies.

Flytie nailed it. Go to a craft store and buy some craft foam sheets in what ever color and make your own. Any size and shape you desire. It works great. I little size 10 yellow spider works great and this old fella can see it. hehehehe!

Rainy's Flies has several different foam bodies in colors. Bass Pro has some of their bodies.

Montana Fly Co has foam in 4mm tubes in colors. Dream Drift Flies carries the Montana Fly Products materials. Dream Drift Link

J Stockard has several different foam options. Guess what? White foam (and other light color foam,) will color up fine with a sharpie. You can make any color combination you want from white or other lighter colored foam blanks or sheets.

Where is that foam from? I haven't seen multicolored sheets before.

Some craft shops have that type of foam. I've seen it in Joann's Fabrics.

I have an assortment of those old "sponge spider" bodies I have been meaning to sell/trade off. I think there are 18 packs, with 10-12 bodies per pack. Orange, yellow, green, black and white as I recall. Two different sizes. May also have some Mustad 33903 hooks. Send PM for details if interested.

You can color foam with hobby fabric paint diluted to use in hobby spray gun, air dried, and set in drier on low heat.  I use this method to color beetle flies  in iridescent and metallic colors. Works quite well and inexpensive.  MJR  

Pat Dunlop, Cascade Crest, was right on the money.. when you can't find any other color use white then color as you choose with Prismacolor Art markers (or just that old standby - the Sharpy... ).

Years ago I was able to buy sheets of foam in every color under the sun - at craft shops - not fly shops... To this day the background color on every photo I take is one of those sheets (I must have eight or more colors kept just for that purpose).  Here's  pic or two - forget the flies just look at the background... In order, Swamp Rabbits (an original pattern that I do in five colors..), Lefty's Deceiver (my version), Flip Pallot's Prince of Tides  (my version).

AqJAt7F.jpg

lff0swl.jpg

o2tBd7w.jpg