Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Sean Juan

Sea-Run Brook Trout

Any one have any experience with these fish? I recently moved to the Cape and in my poking around for something to do this winter I learned that some of the small rivers here hold sea-run brook trout.

I'm going to fish for them with a 2wt and whatever I can find that could be a food source likely midges or very small streamers.

i'm not possitive but i think sea runs are gonna get a little bigger then resdient brookies so don't be surprised if you are a little underguned with the 2wt i wouldn't worry unless they are getting over 20 inches though

you hit it on the head midges and small streamers

Sea runs are larger fish they hit hard and are very fast. go with at least a 6 weight outfit and stay close to the bottom.Try an assortment of weighted nymphs.

They are here, and this is a recomendation from a very good freind.I have not fished for them but will as soon as the opportunity arrises.

Went down to the river yesterday...bit of a change of scene for me. Many parts of the stream are barely two feet wide but most of it is four or five feet deep. Much different challenge from fishing the open ocean - barely had enough room to roll cast I can only imagine what this place is like in spring and summer when the trees actually have leaves.

I didn't see any trout activity but the river was full of minnows pretty sure they were juve herring, and a lot of midges. I wouldn't be surprised to find some fat smallmouth since the river empties out of a good sized pond.

Also there were tons of signs labeling the river as artificial lure only C&R only - which is good, and looked like somebody did a ton of work securing the banks most likely a TU project - wonder if I'll have to get my membership moved to this chapter.

QUOTE (sandflyx @ Dec 20 2004, 08:24 AM)
daryn, did u drug that pooch to pose like that..

No,He just drinks too much and thought he was funny

QUOTE (Sean Juan @ Dec 20 2004, 11:02 AM)
Went down to the river yesterday...bit of a change of scene for me. Many parts of the stream are barely two feet wide but most of it is four or five feet deep. Much different challenge from fishing the open ocean - barely had enough room to roll cast I can only imagine what this place is like in spring and summer when the trees actually have leaves.

I didn't see any trout activity but the river was full of minnows pretty sure they were juve herring, and a lot of midges. I wouldn't be surprised to find some fat smallmouth since the river empties out of a good sized pond.

Also there were tons of signs labeling the river as artificial lure only C&R only - which is good, and looked like somebody did a ton of work securing the banks most likely a TU project - wonder if I'll have to get my membership moved to this chapter.

If the steam is that small try the lighter gear.Do you have a minnow net,Try catching some of those minnows.You got me interested to what they are.How big is the pound,and did you try fishing it?

Minnow net we don't need no stinking minnow net....

Okay I was bored - its been over a month since I caught a fish so cut me some slack. I caught a few of the minnows on a midge pattern - and yes I felt like a tool making a reach cast so I could properly present to a 2 inch fish...but I caught him and now its on the wall.

Actually I just confirmed that they are herring - or something very similar looking could be suckers for all I know. But given the size and numbers of them any fish in there has a good chance of being pretty big.

The pond is a real good size 100+ acres which is pretty much a lake in MA a puddle anywhere else.

Still no signs of trout or bass - granted they could all be pretty deep in the pond, and the trout could be in the ocean...but with all these baitfish just seems like this is the place to be and the water is plenty deep.

Sean,

Did you try fishing in the surf for them? From talking to the locals up in Atlantic Canada about them they seem to stay close to the stream or river they came out of.

Charlie.