Fly Tying
Fishfearme

Craft Store Alternative Supplies?

Wondering if purchasing supplies such as beads, threads, and flashaboo-lie products at craft stores instead of fly fishing shops is wise, it certainly is cheaper?!

thanks

Wondering if purchasing supplies such as beads, threads, and flashaboo-lie products at craft stores instead of fly fishing shops is wise, it certainly is cheaper?!

thanks

Go for it, a fly tyer uses his or hers imagination in their creations, I buy paint, foam, beads and any thing that I might think works, be creative and save some bucks, I don't buy thread. Craft stores can be great.

Some items, such as foam sheets that you see in craft shops are exactly the same as you see in fly shops, except repackaged & sold at higher prices. Don't neglect the fly shops either, as they're usually an awesome source of not only materials, but also information & advise, and there are materials in fly shops you won't find in craft shops.

I've also bought many things in crafts stores. Some things, like some feathers are not the best, and I've had the dye fade or even leach once they got wet. You have to look close & be sure what you're comparing is simply price, as there can be huge differences in quality. There are however many materials in craft shops that can be useful in tying, and as oarfish has said, if you use your imagination you will find them! :)

The first thing to remember (and to know) is that there are essentially NO synthetic materials made specifically for fly tying. All of these materials were originally made for a MUCH larger market, and were 'discovered' by some errant (he wandered into a fabric/craft shop; a realm normally reserved for the ladies) fly tier who happened to notice the 'stuff' and figured it might have a place in his tying materials collection.

IMHO, any fly tier who does NOT frequent such places for tying materials is missing out on some really great 'stuff'.

A widely known, and highly respected, guide on the Texas Hill Country rivers gives a very hilarious program "Fly Tying in the Craft Store"; or at least it was hilarious when he worked for a large shop in Austin, Texas, as he would relate what he would do if you came into the shop while he was there!

'Nuff said.

Cheers!

I agree that for synthetics you owe it to yourself to shop craft stores. Natural products I wouldn't touch. If you compare peacock eyes in a craft store and in a tying store the quality difference is obvious. But the bargains are there to be had. These two patterns are tied up with craft store items. The metalic thread shines really well under the stretch cord (both craft stuff)

post-42518-0-38108200-1336228404_thumb.jpg

post-42518-0-77090300-1336228425_thumb.jpg

In a local craft store, I found glass beads with a silver internal lining which work GREAT for the flies I tie. I am a beginner tyer. I also do all I can to patronize fly shops. When I asked the local fly shop for a bunch of glass beads in different colors, the owner said that the order would be cumbersome from his current supplier. I went into a craft store and bought a variety of colors of Toho brand beads in "11/0" and "6/0" sizes. They work great and have a distinct glint from that inner silver lining. They are quite inexpensive.

I'll make most of my purchases from fly shops. Even so, it makes sense to drop by the craft store a couple of times a year to see what they have.

Flytire...

The OPERATIVE word was "essentially"! Verstehen Sie? You might be surprised t what "crafters" would do with those things!!

Almost all of my glass beads come from craft and bead stores (more colours and a lot cheaper than 'fly-tying' beads), and I regularly browse craft shops for interesting materials...occasionally some good deals on feathers, foam, and some cool synthetics.

I buy lots of stuff from non-fishing-related sources: everyplace from ebay to Etsy to Michael's to bead shops to yard sales, to the local Goodwill store. One reason is that fly shops have dropped off the map in this area to the extent that there's only one place left to buy materials, and it's just a couple of short aisles in a bait & tackle shop. There's a Cabela's about an hour away, but it's not worth the drive for what they sell. (or more accurately, what they don't sell) I've taken to buying whatever I can find in bulk, regardless of the source, and doing my own dyeing. Saves money in the long run, and less time searching means more time tying. If I can get a ten-year supply of an item for $50, then what's the point of buying it piecemeal at ten times the cost? I'm all for supporting local businesses, but I'm also in favor of not throwing my money away.

Pete, You & I think much alike! My daughter says I'm a horder, I like to think of myself as thrifty! :lol:

BTW, have you completed your move down to VA yet? You may have said, but I'm getting old, & my mind don't work right sometimes! :rolleyes:

Pete, You & I think much alike! My daughter says I'm a horder, I like to think of myself as thrifty! :lol:

BTW, have you completed your move down to VA yet? You may have said, but I'm getting old, & my mind don't work right sometimes! :rolleyes:

LOL - at least your mind works part of the time - according to my wife, mine has been collecting unemployment for quite some time now. We're still up here in CT, though I was down south recently to register the boat and get it ready. We decided yesterday that we've had enough of this waiting for the house up here to sell. We're just gonna pull up stakes and get ourselves relocated once and for all. The thoughts of that house down there sitting empty is driving us both nuts. I just read last week about a woman getting a 60-pound red from a pier in Norfolk, and they've been doing well in the surf on the barrier islands over our way. Just can't take it any more. There's bound to be something big down there swimming around with my name on it.

im glad you brought it up because i was thinking it. i wasnt sure just starting out if i should stick strictly with name brand supplies or try my own. if the picture comes up its my version of a rough stonefly that was tied with common materials all found at wally world. between the craft section the fishing section and believe it or not the earing section, i was surprised what kinda stuff flowed out of my hands and into the vice. this pattern was one of my first attempts and it is crued, but it does produce good panfish and small bass to the point of the fly being destroyed. point here is ive found like alot of others that you cant let big name brand stores limit your imagination. good luck and thank you to everyone on here for your advice. im learning alot.

post-43737-0-45124900-1339671601_thumb.jpg

im glad you brought it up because i was thinking it. i wasnt sure just starting out if i should stick strictly with name brand supplies or try my own. if the picture comes up its my version of a rough stonefly that was tied with common materials all found at wally world. between the craft section the fishing section and believe it or not the earing section, i was surprised what kinda stuff flowed out of my hands and into the vice. this pattern was one of my first attempts and it is crued, but it does produce good panfish and small bass to the point of the fly being destroyed. point here is ive found like alot of others that you cant let big name brand stores limit your imagination. good luck and thank you to everyone on here for your advice. im learning alot.

Good looking bugs KayTs, keep it up your moving ahead.

Thanks rick. im usually my worst critic when things come off of the vice so its nice to hear that someone likes what im doing. Im all about constructive criticism because that the way people learn and grow. its just that i dont have much input for people because im just starting out like alot of them are so i keep my mouth shut and my eyes and ears open and listen to the subject matter experts. thanks again i appreciate it.