Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
troutboy365

Leader Loops?

Just wondered how people like the leader loops that you can use to connect your leader to the fly line. I have been tying the leader directly to the flyline but am looking to use these leader loops for ease of use.

Are there any problems if the leader turning over or any other issues with these?

Nope no turn over problems at all on them for me. I have used the orvis ones for awhile and like the way that they take the time out of re rigging for me. Only downside to them is if you are fishing in a very weedy area then the loop connections add something for weed to grab onto but for 90% of the areas we fish thats not a problem.

SD

I've had problems with them pulling off fighting large salmon but for ordinary fishing it should be fine. I just use an Albright knot now.

Ken cool.gif

Fortunately, I won a rig at our TU banquet last year. It had Orvis line with the loop on it. I had, in the past, tied the leader with a nail-less nail knot. However, I was concerned over the loss of flyline over a period of time. I got ambitious and changed all my rods and my son's rods to the loop system. I use a nail-less knot and then I tie an overhand loop in the end of the short line. Coated the knot with Pliobond glue for smoother travel through the guides. Tried a perfection loop but it turned out too bulky for me. Now, it's easy to change leaders when one gets worn out. headbang.gif

I whip a loop in the end of my fly lines with tying thread.

I've never had one fail and it makes it real easy to change leaders.

I also use the same system on both ends of my shooting heads and I've never had one of those fail either.

Nail knots are so 17th century...

QUOTE (Sean Juan @ Dec 21 2004, 11:16 AM)
I whip a loop in the end of my fly lines with tying thread.

I've never had one fail and it makes it real easy to change leaders.

I also use the same system on both ends of my shooting heads and I've never had one of those fail either.

Nail knots are so 17th century...

I never thought of that, how many turns of thread? Roughly? Do you coat the wraps with anything?

Daryn,

I couldn't tell you how many wraps of thread because I do it by swinging a bobbin - have to wrap the thread around one of the bobbin legs to add some tension.

The centrifical force - Geez Mr. Vautor Science teacher from 7th grade would be so proud of me - imbedds the thread into the coating of the fly line, so that loop is strong.

I coat the thread with some pliobond just because not sure its really necessary.

I've been doing this for years on my fresh and salt gear never had one slip - worst thing I can say is its not as delicate as a nail knot - but if you are spooking fish with your fly line leader connection then your cast was way off.

SJ

Daryn,

In the book "Practical Fishing Knots" by mark Sosin and Lefty Kreh they describe how to whip a loop in the flyline on pgs102-105. It also a very good knot book.

I only have 4 rods (10, 8, 6, and 4 WT). Have used the braided leader loop connections on all. I have only had 1 slip off, I knew it was loose and frayed and fished it anyway (my fault).

last summer I picked up a different connecter at a local sporting goods shop (they do not cater to flyfishing but get in some unique fly stuff once in a while).

The connector is an oval shaped peice of plastic with a hole straight through the tapered end to the opposite tapered end. There is a larger perpendicular opening through the middle also.

Slide the flyline through one end out the middle opening and tie a knot, trim and shove back through unti the knot stops. You do the same with the leader.

A smooth connection, holds great, I can't break it, only twice the diamiter of the fly line. transfers the energy of the cast better, and lands as quiet on the water as the line itself. I have it on my 4 WT.

I bought the only two packs he had. one clear, and one orange (for floating line the orange works like a strike indicator)

I have not been able to find them in any catalog and discarded the bag the came in. These are not the plastic leader attachments sold by Scientific Angler.

Anyone else ever use them? And where can I get them?

Conehead,

I've seen what you are talking about though I've never used them...but I recall that they were made by Eagle Claw, or at least a version of them.

See them all the time flipping through the the Bass Pro catalogue

I've been using the Orvis braided loops for two years and have had no problems. The convenience of switching leaders as necessary is great.

Regards.

I use the Orvis braided loops and add a touch of glue under the plastic sheath then "slightly" heat the heat shrink sheath to lock it together and have never had one slip.

Have use them for years on my floating lines and one failure which was my fault. I did have problems with them on sinking lines and have switched back to the nail knot them.

Sign in to follow this