Fly Tying

My Daughter has chosen Cottey College in Nevada, MO; so I've got trips to the area on my radar.

First up is the 3rd week in Aug when we drop her off. Dear wife has come across Big Cedar Lodge in the Branson area and a quick look was all I needed to agree to spending a few days there before dropping off the kid.

I've seen a couple threads in the archives about the area but thought I'd start up my own thread asking for info/suggestions. Trout fishing is fine but I get plenty of that at home in the Pac NW, I likes me some bass/warm water fishing. When in Rome sort of thing ;)

What should I consider doing? Try some of the bigger lakes or seek out some smaller water? I guess I can pop for some boat rental time but maybe that's not necessary I really have no clue but I'm game for anything.

Though they are to the north, and to the west, the Gasconade River and the Niangua River are both famous for their smallmouth fishing. Both are within an couple of hours drive, if it is that long.

I don't think traveling 2hrs is going to fit this trip, when I'm already lodging next to a body of water, but it's good to hear about fishing in the general area for future trips or for the dear daughter to maybe explore.

I don't know if the hatchery post is a joke or not, if not please don't be offended Blane but hatchery trout to a north western fly fisher is...I don't know the right words so let's just go with "not a high priority".

Small mouth would be a high priority, large mouth are fine. What's the deal with Table Rock Lake? Obviously I need to rent a boat and the folks there could probably point me to some spots but I always like to quiz my brethren of the fly.

The trout in the river are native and hatchery, browns are native, its on the river for the cold water source.

Theres lots of good fishing all around that area, I've fished around it when Branson was just a slick in the road 1965-68, I would suggest not to fish and get to know the area, its large get to the tackle shops drive out look around, theres good trout in those hills.

Have a look at the Ozark Anglers Forum here I think Lower Taneycomo might be what you are looking for. But, you might want to give Phil Lilley a call at Lilley's Landing. He hosts the forum and is an all around nice guy. The OAF website will provide you with almost everything you want to know about fishing the Ozarks and surrounding area lakes, rivers, etc..

I would venture you will see more browns over 20 lbs in the first four miles below that dam than you have ever seen in a four mile stretch of any of your north western rivers. No offense intended but they have a world class trout fishery in Branson. These aren't stocker hatchery fish although they do have a hatchery. You can bass fish till your heart is content further down stream. When you want to know what eats their five pound smallmouth look at the jaws of their thirty pound trout! Either way, you have great striper, bass and trout waters near and I hope you have a great trip.

I would venture you will see more browns over 20 lbs in the first four miles below that dam than you have ever seen in a four mile stretch of any of your north western rivers. No offense intended but they have a world class trout fishery in Branson. These aren't stocker hatchery fish although they do have a hatchery. You can bass fish till your heart is content further down stream. When you want to know what eats their five pound smallmouth look at the jaws of their thirty pound trout! Either way, you have great striper, bass and trout waters near and I hope you have a great trip.

Heck, Nightheron says you just found Eden. Don't share too many pics of your monsters. Don't think I could look at my 4oz Scottish browns the same way again.

thanks for the pointers everyone. sounds like quite the spot and it might well be my only visit in this lifetime. I'll probably remain my frugal self and go it without guide but at least you've started me on my path

Wondering if I'll even be able to go outside in mid august being such an wimp from the upper left corner. 85º around here and we wilt. Been 32 years since I spent a summer month in OKC.

If you are concerned about the heat, then you should go to Taney at least once during the day. However, don't focus as much on the fishing, but focus on the lay of the river and get a good feel for the underwater layout. Then go back to the river in the evening, after sundown. You won't have to fight the crowds or the heat and you will get an opportunity to catch some bigger fish. Also check the generation schedule, because you can really only do this when there is no generation.

Make sure you have, at least, a 6wt or 7wt rod. Use a floating line and put about 8 ft of 10 to 12 pound Mono for a leader (No Tippet required). You will want to use streamers like Leonard Keeny's PMS or Hibernator or some of the Galloup patterns that imitate sculpins or move a lot of water. You will also want to have a head lamp, but make sure that you don't shine it on the water, as this will put the fish down. You will be casting in the dark so you might want to practice casting with your eyes closed. Be prepared for big strikes (the kind that will jerk the rod from you hand) and big fish.

I've had the most luck with Keeny's Hibernator in Black and UV Purple #8. Night time Streamer stripping on TaneyComo has provided me with some of my best experiences. Good luck and I hope you get the opportunity to try it.

My best day at Taney was using little (20-24) G-Bugs - which are basically tiny wooly buggers with osterich herl. Black, brown, and tan worked well. Also scuds in the same size range. I caught 3 20"+ rainbows and lost a brown that was closer to 26" in about a 3 hour period...