Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Tee Nootsie Brasseau

All about Feathers

I have not a book to learn from. I have internet and that is better yes. I have questions for someone. You might be able to lead me to a website that will explain. My questionsare: What is the difference in Hen hackel, rooster hackel and spey hackel. I need to know what others are using for dry fly and wet fly hackel. What feathers get wet and sink and what feathers stay up to float for some time. I am willing to study if someone can point to a site.......Thanks

post-37584-0-51267500-1336922483_thumb.jpg

I have not a book to learn from. I have internet and that is better yes. I have questions for someone. You might be able to lead me to a website that will explain. My questionsare: What is the difference in Hen hackel, rooster hackel and spey hackel. I need to know what others are using for dry fly and wet fly hackel. What feathers get wet and sink and what feathers stay up to float for some time. I am willing to study if someone can point to a site.......Thanks

I have found on the net: http//www.derekspace.net/hacksel.htm

I'm pretty sure that the only feathers that float a hook unaided for any length of time are CDC feathers. Cul de Cunard. These feathers come from ducks and other water birds bums and are near the oil glands which helps them float.

Hen cape hackles are 'softer' and make good wet fly hackles because they fold back and help create the right profile for a wet fly.

Cock cape Hackles are stiffer and are used on dry flys because they will aid floating BUT they won't keep a fly afloat for long. You still need something like GINK or a floatant applied to the feather.

Spey hackles are much bigger feathers for use with bigger hooks. If you wound a spey hackle around a size 14 hook the fibres could extend easily 2x or 3x the hook length. they are great for salt water or salmon flies on long shanks and tubes.

For Dry flies I use Cock Cape hackles as the cape has range of the smaller feathers for small hooks. Saddles have larger feathers but can still use on size 10 hooks.

Wets I use Hen and tend to use saddles as I don't need a smaller feather found on capes.

Hope thats some use.

I'm pretty sure that the only feathers that float a hook unaided for any length of time are CDC feathers. Cul de Cunard. These feathers come from ducks and other water birds bums and are near the oil glands which helps them float.

Hen cape hackles are 'softer' and make good wet fly hackles because they fold back and help create the right profile for a wet fly.

Cock cape Hackles are stiffer and are used on dry flys because they will aid floating BUT they won't keep a fly afloat for long. You still need something like GINK or a floatant applied to the feather.

Spey hackles are much bigger feathers for use with bigger hooks. If you wound a spey hackle around a size 14 hook the fibres could extend easily 2x or 3x the hook length. they are great for salt water or salmon flies on long shanks and tubes.

For Dry flies I use Cock Cape hackles as the cape has range of the smaller feathers for small hooks. Saddles have larger feathers but can still use on size 10 hooks.

Wets I use Hen and tend to use saddles as I don't need a smaller feather found on capes.

Hope thats some use. Thanks so much. I have time to tie now....old and all family gone...when I was younger I knew all this..having to learn again............

This link will take you to a page that will give you a good understanding of all the different feathers used as Soft Hackle

This link will take you to a different page on the same web site that explains all the different types of feathers and hackle.

Just click and read. I will see what else I can find.

Here is a video presentation that may help

This link will take you to a page that will give you a good understanding of all the different feathers used as Soft Hackle

This link will take you to a different page on the same web site that explains all the different types of feathers and hackle.

Just click and read. I will see what else I can find.

Here is a video presentation that may help

To you I say Merci......That helps me out a lot...............T