Fly Tying
Ebrant10

Trout Nymph Swap?

OK, I've decided on an Olive Flashback Scud on a #16 Mustad 37160 (caddis larva) hook, that will size out more like a #12 scud. I'll post a pic or two soon.

I normally put a little fine lead wire on the hook before tying for weight. Is there anyone who prefers no lead or no weight? I do have a little lead-free weighted wire. Speak up now so I can omit the lead if that's what you want. I will mark them and ask Evan the SM to make sure you get the special ones.

UPDATE: I found a whole spool of lead-free wire and will use it. I am lightly weighting these. You don't have to specify anything unless you want the scud more heavily-weighted (ie. river), but you can always apply the weight externally.

Thank you.

Jimboha!

And that makes 12, we are all full! Thanks everyone for joining this one should be fun, dont forget July 2 deadline that gives us exactley 45 days from today. Looking forward to seeing some great flies!

OK, I've decided on an Olive Flashback Scud on a #16 Mustad 37160 (caddis larva) hook, that will size out more like a #12 scud. I'll post a pic or two soon.

I normally put a little fine lead wire on the hook before tying for weight. Is there anyone who prefers no lead or no weight? I do have a little lead-free weighted wire. Speak up now so I can omit the lead if that's what you want. I will mark them and ask Evan the SM to make sure you get the special ones.

Thank you.

Jimboha!

Jim id prefer weighted please wire type does not matter to me. Thanks!

Evan

(oops - but can't delete post entirely)

Here are some pics that shouldn't be here. See the next post for description.

Jimboha!

Thank you.

Jimboha!

Jim id prefer weighted please wire type does not matter to me. Thanks!

Evan

Extra weight for Evan.

Here's some photos. Hard to capture the real appearance since you rely on translucence under water. One photo is taken with no flash (left) to give impression of transparency while the other with flash (right) shows the actual colors. Note that this is the same scud.

post-37740-0-57361500-1337535399_thumb.jpg post-37740-0-61607600-1337535376_thumb.jpg

If anyone has tan or brown scuds in their waters, please let me know. You'll have better luck if the colors are closer.

Jimboha!

PS If you've ever eaten a trout that had pink-ish flesh and thought the flavor/texture was unusually good, then you'll want to use a scud pattern. The fish that eat scuds turn pink and the texture of the flesh is different. This effect is similar to the pink flesh and texture of ocean-run salmon that have bulked up on shrimp. The scuds are similar to fresh-water shrimp and harbor a parasite (harmless) that turns the dead scud pink. The same coloring changes the trout pink. Anyway, I love these types of trout and fishing with a scud is a great way to catch only those kind.

Nice shrimpy lookin' scuds Jimboha!, gonna make a very sweet addition to this swap!

Murray

Deleted cause I wrote load of made up nonsense. Memory must be misleading me.

Been there, done that.... I think.

JImboha!

great looking scuds Jim here in MI we also have the mysis shrimp as well as common scuds so when you catch rainbows out of some rivers the flesh is almost as pink as a pink salmon great tasting and very good texture

now for my addition something that I have found works from ice off till the river is frozen solid I tie this one with no weight

post-10925-0-87816800-1337559328_thumb.jpg

I fish it from the bottom all the way up to just under the film of the surface to get it down I usually tie it 6 inches behind a heavy nymph like a depth charge or a heavy copper john

great looking scuds Jim here in MI we also have the mysis shrimp as well as common scuds so when you catch rainbows out of some rivers the flesh is almost as pink as a pink salmon great tasting and very good texture

now for my addition something that I have found works from ice off till the river is frozen solid I tie this one with no weight

post-10925-0-87816800-1337559328_thumb.jpg

I fish it from the bottom all the way up to just under the film of the surface to get it down I usually tie it 6 inches behind a heavy nymph like a depth charge or a heavy copper john

Oh, yeah, nice. That's what I need - something that is good year round! Does it have a name?

Edit: Duh, I just read the first post - "tiny black stone"

Jimboha!