Fly Tying
fishabuoy

Senko Substitute

After some one on one tutelage from the originator himself, Rich McElligott - I think I understand how to tie these now.

Getting ready for a week long trek into some back-country lakes that hold trophy bass/bluegill/crappie....

I think these might come in handy B)

Thanks to Rich McE for coming up with such an awesome imitation of a senko - I tried these out a couple weeks ago, and they are the best looking, & acting, "plastic worm" imitation I've fished to date. I'm gonna put them to the test at the end of the month at my favorite place to chase LMB.

bob V

7211448016_f2980fd75c_b.jpg

7211446784_6715bce099_b.jpg

Great looking. Just as good as Rich's. He's going to have to do a little tutorial. I think he wrote me explaining the process after he sent me a few, I'll have to look through my emails to see if I can find it and twist a few up.

Good luck in the back country.

Kirk

Wow great looking flies. Where can I find the pattern and instructions on how to tie these? Any help would be great and Thanks. BF

Guest rich mc

if i was more computer savy i would do a step by step. recently the worm showed up on thejerseyangler blogspot.com and he has some directions. its made with patons bohemian chenille. it is not furled but what i call back wrapping .

hope youcan follow this this is for what i call the ultimate worm.

1/0 ewg worm hook. lead on the shank is optional. cut two chenilles ,5 inch and 10 inch . melt theend of the smaller one over aflame . . place hook in the vise point up tie the unmeltedend behing the eye on the inside of vise. tie the long one on the far side. pull both section back so the point is between them. clamp with hackle pliers or bulldog clip. [ leave some slack in the front section so it wont be a hookguard] hold tail straight back and wrap the longer section backward 6-7 times , stop and regrip and wrap forward the same amount of wraps . then continue around the two front chenilles. the worm is now weedless and once wet it is active.

i use them in several versions . also clouser style ona 60 degree bend hook, and latest on a kahle hook and dumbell eyes set back , then i waterproof the tail and it stands up like the shakey head worms go for it. rich mc

Hey Rich -

Thanks again for all your help & thanks for chiming in.... those exact instructions helped me a LOT in understanding how it is tied. It's one of those things you see... and go "OOOOHHHH" but it's not readily apparent before you see it.

What do you use to water-proof the tail? I'll have to try that. Another question... have you ever died the yarn? They don't carry black - but I'd think it'd be pretty easy to use rit or some other dye to make our own? You could even use the darker brown colors to get a mottled "blackish" yarn.... What do you think?

BTW- For those interested in tying some for themselves..... when pics and version of the Ultimate Worm started showing up on the web several months back - Patons had very little choice of colors of the yarn available....As of a couple weeks ago, they had an excellent selection available. I have a lifetime supply of yarn for ultimate worms. :)

Guest rich mc

being a carpet cleaner i have some heavy duty protector called magic shield dries clear and soft. brightwater .com sells some that is very similar.

Patons came out with a few new colors around xmas the black/blue is called guru and should be awesome. black was disc in 2010 since its acrylic yarn it does take dye very easy but it takes marker. my best color for clear water has been a combo of tan/orange tail and brown body. herschnerrs made a bulky chenille but they discontinued the whole line in feb. another close substitute is lion brand velvetspun, which comes in bright white, pale yelow and lavender

i also have alot of spinning gear anglers that throw these flies as they do get heavy when wet. rich mc

if i was more computer savy i would do a step by step. recently the worm showed up on thejerseyangler blogspot.com and he has some directions. its made with patons bohemian chenille. it is not furled but what i call back wrapping .

hope youcan follow this this is for what i call the ultimate worm.

1/0 ewg worm hook. lead on the shank is optional. cut two chenilles ,5 inch and 10 inch . melt theend of the smaller one over aflame . . place hook in the vise point up tie the unmeltedend behing the eye on the inside of vise. tie the long one on the far side. pull both section back so the point is between them. clamp with hackle pliers or bulldog clip. [ leave some slack in the front section so it wont be a hookguard] hold tail straight back and wrap the longer section backward 6-7 times , stop and regrip and wrap forward the same amount of wraps . then continue around the two front chenilles. the worm is now weedless and once wet it is active.

i use them in several versions . also clouser style ona 60 degree bend hook, and latest on a kahle hook and dumbell eyes set back , then i waterproof the tail and it stands up like the shakey head worms go for it. rich mc

Wow, I have used plastics in the past from time to time, and this right up my alley..

Great looking Fly. Tied some yesterday, can't wait to try them out this weekend.

Here is a sbs of this fly. This is my first attempt at a sbs.

1.jpg

Cut 2 pieces of chenille 1 @ 5 1/2" and 1 @ 18".

Take shorter one and singe a taper to it.

2.jpg

3.jpg

Add bead to hook and coat hook with thread.

4.jpg

Apply the shorter one to the hook and tie off.

5.jpg

Add longer chenille to hook and start wrapping to end of shorter one.

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

And then wrap back to the hook eye.

10.jpg

12.jpg

Tie off and add head cement.

I like to add a little super glue to the end.

13.jpg

Enjoy