Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Peterjay

Drum on a Fly

Here's a video I stumbled onto while I was doing a little research on something else. I've never lived anywhere where there are freshwater drum, but after seeing this, I wish I had. I really like the way this kid handles a heavy fish. He'd be a natural in salt water.

Considering giving them a shot, always drive past the Moira River which some people may know from the 8lb tippet class record freshwater drum. I always seem to be more allured by trout, bass and pike tho and never try.

Good episode from Fly Max films on this, if anyone has WFN you may have seen it.

This is the guy with the record.

http://fishbumoutfitters.com/yoshi-aoki/

If i do try any suggested killer flies? I rekon the usual deep crazy charlie's will be the go, just plonk them down infront of the fish's nose and hang on?

Wow, that's some fish! (I may have to order one of those hoodies as well) From the looks of the fishes' mouth, I'd think that the same kinds of flies that work on red drum would work on them as well. Maybe a crayfish pattern?

I think i am sold at giving them a shot, going to head up there on may 24 long weekend. Now they will be pretty much hugging the bottom so i rekon i need flies that get down pretty quickly and a decent length of fluoro leader, going to try some Hammerhead BMS patterns, and yes a crayfish or two.

Where is jhammer? I think he fishes for these things?

I live in the east suburbs of Cleveland and lake Erie is loaded with them. I use a 6wt when I target them and the biggest I've landed was a little over 10 lbs. Those things can rip line with the best of them. Nobody really targets them around here but they are quite a common catch when targeting walleye, smallmouth and perch. They eat pretty much anything, but in the big lake there main diet is crayfish, gobies, minnows, zebra muscles and anything crawling around on the bottom. Top fly would be a size 6 olive woolybugger slowly stripped on the bottom but I've taken them frequently stripping clousers fast as well when targeting whitebass. Anything you'd catch smallies on you'll catch drum (sheephead) on.

Alrighty, well these guys are in a river with a pretty moderate flow and it is pretty clear, so it is going to be sight fishing. I hear they are just stacked up on the bottom right now but also the river is full of garpike even in the fast flows.

Next weekend i shall see! But just started tying a few things to put in the box to take.

Freshwater Drum flies version 1.

post-29540-0-38695500-1337383824_thumb.jpg

Got some smallmouth sugar craws

Hammerhead BMS in Gold/ Olive and Purple

BMS Clouser in Tan

And something i call the Drum Major Instinct

Box is stuffed with buggers and EP minnows too.

The 'Mike's Smallmouth Sugar Craw' is still a work in progress, found heating the bodkin to 'mould' the nippers at the joints is a nice way to go, i mean it looks good in the water but i have yet to give it a good test on the Bass, just gotta wait till last week in June before it is legal to fish for those feisty beasts, oh it is so long to wait!

http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php?showtopic=65586

I'm going to be fishing Lake Erie for a few days in early June. Like schaef said, we used to catch them all the time when I was growing up on the lake, when we were trying to catch walleye and bass. Even caught a few really big ones while trolling for salmon in the fall. I've never caught one on a fly, but I am going to give it a shot if the smallies and white bass aren't cooperating. Used to be that people more or less considered them trash fish. Who knows, now that carp are a glamour species perhaps sheepshead are next in line.

post-30681-0-56766700-1338471445_thumb.jpgpost-30681-0-05712400-1338471489_thumb.jpg

I would encourage you guys to chase them. They eat when most predatory fish are done for the day, you can sight fish them like reds, and when nothing else will eat it gives us something to cast to. I chase them after I drop my guide clients off at the dock. Ive been very successful on this crayfish pattern. Their eyesight is poor, I've found that if they see it they eat it. A quick pop off the bottom right in front of their nose will turn them onto the fly. Once they see it a slow short continuous strip will make them eat it. Not fast or strong or long fighting but it's great practice for sight fishing.