Fly Tying
JarrodRuggles

stupidest thing done while tying

Had the whole stroy in another post...

But clogged a bobbin with glue since I used too much and it traveled down the thread.

Then got the great idea to use a bodkin to clear out the glue...got frustrated used too much force and impaled the bodkin through my index finger and my middle finger pinning the two together.

Then finally the biggest mistake woke my wife up of have her pull the thing out.

Had mine just last week. Tying for the contest, I got a little burr on my finger while wrapping floss so I had a few loose floss fibers. After I had completed the fly, I held a match up to it to "melt" away the loose floss and lit the whole fly. Two hours up in smoke in less than a second.

I'm with daryn on this. After seeing my den fill up with cabinets of material, with hair and feather fluff in every nook and cranny within 30 feet of my vise, burning away all the receptors in my nose with head cement fumes, etc. everything else that follows is just the residual aftershocks of the original act of monumental madness: getting into fly tying! tongue.gif

At the moment I happen to be looking at two topics. One about the stupidest things done while tying, and the other about workstation designs.

I'm thinking that the most important feature of my new workstation will be a tub deep enough to hold a bottle of head cement securely, leaving no room for it to tip. Secondarily, an off-site coffee mug holder, with a hose and a bite valve running to a point over my right shoulder. Maybe some integrated hook-point covers and a cap for my bodkin so I don't impale myself. A box of rubber gloves, a plastic sheet for chairs and carpet... a chemical suit to prevent binding things to body parts (whether those things be tool, table, or other body parts). Maybe a FLAMMABLE sign over the area, no open flame allowed within 50 feet...

It's all too much to think about. Seems to me that there are two options here... Either give up tying - or live life on the edge - Extreme Fly Tying headbang.gif - No safety considerations whatsoever. No contest.

One of my "favorite" screw-ups is tying in ribbing/hackle/biot/etc at the tail, wrapping the thread (with or without dubbing) to the front, half-hitch, then having the material pull out. I haven't decided between retying with new thread at the tail or wrapping the thread back to the tail again. Either way, it's a pain. mad.gif

I"ve done many of the things posted already.One thing i stupidly did was to burn the super glue off of my bodkin with my face above it. DO NOT DO THIS! My eyes burned for a very long time and i think i coated them with glue fumes! Luckly there seems to be no permant damage but i think i got lucky.

Wow, I've done way to many stupid things at the bench.

1) Impaled my thumb with a salmon fly hook that went clear up to the tip of the barb.

2) Super glued my fingers together way too many times.

3) Left the lid off of my cement and it dried out/ knocked it over a bunch of glo bug yarn.

4) Got a pair of dr slick sicsors stuck in my palm.

that about sums up all of the stupid stuff i've done.

oh yeah and epoxy my saltwater flies before puting the eyes on. mad.gif

-bly

I usually start patterns without really looking at the recipes, so I'll tie up a bunch and look down at the picture/recipe and see that I missed something important that made that fly what it was. Then I have to retie and recycle the hooks. Frustrating but you live and learn.

cool.gif

Well, most of the klutzy ones have been mentioned but here is a simple tip.

After laying out the CDC or Maraboo for a dozen or so flies and putting on some tunes............

DON'T WHISTLE ALONG. bugeyes.gif

I am still finding CDC around.

Also not reccommended when putting in Contact Lenses.

Cheers

Duff