Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
jniz

how do you cut a hackle pad!?

I went to the black market here the other day and bought a beautiful rooster for 20,000TG (15USD) and took him home to boil, pluck, and butcher for the first time ever. I have to say... i did a very bad job butchering and plucking was a nightmare.

How do i go about cutting off the "hackle pad" to make this less of a chore? I've googled the heck out of it and still can't find any real directions. Can you skin a chicken so it stays relatively intact?

It just seems like a hassle to have to do this every time....

tips would be helpful! I have found out that this is furnace hackle... any tips on patterns? They are really stunning feathers!

You should find info on skinning a pheasant and its pretty much same. I'll look for a link when I've got bit more time. I'm sure that skinning them for meat and skinning them for tying is different ways to cut them. Hopefully I'll find a link later.

Here is a link that shows the places to cut. Also if you search the forum searchbar Troutguy did a reply for someone in Sep2010

http://globalflyfisher.com/tiebetter/chickens/

Unless you're in need of the meat, those roosters are usually not the best to eat. I raised some chickens for awhile, and in the beginning killed & skinned them. I found out it was not always an easy task skinning them and the meat really was only good for making soups & stews, as roosters are tough. I ended up just plucking feathers periodically rather than killing them. The feathers grow back, so you get a continuous supply. The roosters don't like being plucked, but I'm sure they would like dying even less if they understood the choice! :lol:

Feeding them is an expense, but in the warmer months where there are plenty of insects around, chickens are more than happy rooting around for what they find, so it cuts down on the amount of feed needed. ;)

Thanks for the responses guys!

I live in a little apartment here in Mongolia so... I WOULD keep the little ugly guy but I simply can't. There was some guilt that went along with all of it but... I felt it was something I had to do in my life AND i would have felt bad taking a life JUST for its feathers. Atleast i can justify it by eating it! I haven't used the meat yet so... stew it shall me. The feathers though,,, STUNNING! Maybe this summer I will get a chance to cut a pad and use some of the suggestions here. If not. I think I will have to do it again at some point in life because it is satisfying having all of these materials that I have acquire through going to the market :)

I live in a little apartment here in Mongolia so

Mongolia the country? WOW the reach of the forum amazes me. Where do you fish? I have seen some articles John Bailey did from a few years back on mountain streams in Mongolia but google earth looks pretty dry. Are you catching Taimen?

I live in a little apartment here in Mongolia so

Mongolia the country? WOW the reach of the forum amazes me. Where do you fish? I have seen some articles John Bailey did from a few years back on mountain streams in Mongolia but google earth looks pretty dry. Are you catching Taimen?

:P I just moved this year in the dead of winter so... no fishing for another 3 weeks. Regulations and politics here make things quite confusing. I have found a company that I will row boats for in exchange to fish on their permit the last few days I am there, and another really great group of people who also have a company that I will be helping with a conservation effort.. Hope to get some more fishing in with them. Looks like I will be fishing for Lenok Grayling and Taimen. It should be really interesting... expect to see heaps of photos and some stories when summer is through! We have a Patagonia grant so I will be required to document it all!

I'm envious. Had a chance to visit Mongolia in 98 but chose South America instead cause of the ease of travelling on. Look forward to some pics of HUGE grayling and Taimen if what I've seen before is true.