Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Rocco

Fly Fishing Slobs

The thread on the ugly land owner harrassment prompts me to list some crimes against the sport I've witnessed that were committed by fellow (?) fly fishers.

Seceario 1. Yellow Breeches PA evening hatch, a row of anglers nicely spaced to give each other room. Clown wades downstream in front of them across the very waters they are fishing. One of the gentler rejoinders was "Oh, what paret of new Jersey are your from?"

Secario 2. Major Michigan steelhead river with a state weir used to hold fish and diveret some to strip eggs for a hatchery. The weir periodicaly releases all fish to allow them to migrate furher on their spawnng runs. Upstream from the weir at a narrow spot in the river, three guys stand across the river and drive fish back into a shallow holding pool by kicking water at them and splashing the surface with their rods. The rest of the 6 man 'team' cast and rip flies through the holding water to stacked up steelhead. They change shifts once in awhile to 'cull' the smaller ones and tap into the cases of beer they hauled down to the river.

Sometimes it's enough to mak e golfer of you.

Rocco

I get what you are saying.Some fly fishermen dont know ettiquet at all.The problem i see the most-out of state people who dont have a fishing license and lack of people who enforce that.I do see a lot of in state people who dont have a license either.If i see someone who doesnt have a license i will usually say something.Most of the timme they will leave.

Unfortunately, there's a large portion of the public who missed a rung or two on the evolutionary ladder. We see a lot of them in salt water as well, especially on jetties. Seems like there's always some clown (invariably a tourist) who'll walk right past everybody in line and stand right behind you. I stopped fishing weekends because I got sick of the confrontations. When we lived on the Neversink River in NY, I tried to keep our property open, because it was the only access to that stretch of river without a long hike, but that lasted about five hours on opening day. I actually had some clown walking under our bedroom window at 4 AM., and the number of "fishermen" pounding beers at 7 AM had to be seen to be believed. The last straw was looking out the window and seeing some moron taking a leak in back of the house. The KEEP OUT signs were up by 9 AM, and they stayed up for the whole five years we lived there. In all that time, not a single person ever asked for permission to cross our land, but there were plenty who tried (unsuccessfully) to sneak past my pack of surly pound pups. I hate to see posted land along a stream, but I certainly understand how it can happen. I would have been happy to grant permission to anyone who'd asked nicely, but nobody ever did.

I have seen a rudeness, but fisherman who smoke and throw their butts in the water or on the bank burn my arse. Some of them really think that if they put a rock on top of the butt its not littering.

The exact reason i quot fishing easily accessable areas. If i have to "beat feet" a mile to find fish, mostly anyone else there walked that far to get away from the same thing

Carry it in carry it out. But its weird cause everyone you talk to believes in the good manners of the sport but surely some of us must be one of them cause they seem to be so many delinquents.

I took an hour hike to a 'quiet' spot on a local loch hoping to miss the hammered spots near the parking, only to find defrosted un-opened boxes of burgers and beer cans left in the carrier bags. They walk all that way and then can't be bothered to even eat it or take it back. MUPPETS!

My Brittany fishing partner would have thought the burgers were a gift from God himself. ha ha

This type behavior is nothing new. It's been going on since the dawn of "civilization", and can be observed in every aspect of today's society. As the population has expanded so has the numbers of these types exponentially. Today's prevalent attitude also seems to be only about "ME"! :(

Apparently, nothing is beyond being infected by this attitude, not even fly fishing! :angry:

Personally, I think some people should not be allowed to procreate & that bringing back public hangings might curb some of this behavior! <_<

my home river sees little fly fishing besides myself there are three regular guys that also fly fish and they are all top notch guys our problems are from the bait dunkers and canoers every time we go to the river we end up packing out a case of beer cans and a dozen plastic worm boxes I think it should be against the law to sell worms in something that isn't biodegradable

I believe it is our society as a whole. I was fly fishing a stretch of water when a couple walked down over the hill and started bait fishing with worms right below me. The river was designated "no bait". Since they decided to fish about 10 feet below me, I had no choice but to move around them. As I walked past I reminded the guy that the river was designated "no bait". He said he didn't give a sh!t and that I should F off. I smiled, walked up to where they parked their vehicle, took a picture with my phone and then called F&G. Some people have no class!

Another instance: I hiked 5 miles into a high mountain lake in Northern Idaho. Hardly anyone hikes here.

I get to the lake and somebody had cut down a whole bunch of green pine trees, 10 to 12 feet tall and tried to burn them. They also chopped their initials a foot tall into some of the bigger trees. Why would you go into a pristine high mountain lake and ruin it?

H Dot Verseman,

Sorry if you take umbrage. I was only reporting what I saw and heard.

For all I know every fly fisher in NJ is a prince of a fellow but some PA natives obviously don't think os

Rocco

rstout, good call! I had a similar incident several years ago. A group of about 5 with heavy spinning rods & bait, better suited for the bay. The response I got after trying to educate the individuals about what fly fishing only meant was "no oblay"! I'm sorry to say that English is the only language I speak, but their laughs after the reply I understood perfectly. <_<

Fortunately the Natural Resources Police officers who responded spoke the language! :rolleyes:

I also don't understand why some have to be so destructive. :angry:

This type behavior is nothing new. It's been going on since the dawn of "civilization", and can be observed in every aspect of today's society. As the population has expanded so has the numbers of these types exponentially. Today's prevalent attitude also seems to be only about "ME"! :(

Apparently, nothing is beyond being infected by this attitude, not even fly fishing! :angry:

Personally, I think some people should not be allowed to procreate & that bringing back public hangings might curb some of this behavior! <_<

Jeez, TW, public hangings? And I though I was a hardass! Trouble is, there aren't any trees where I fish, so hanging would be a bit problematic. If you come over to fish the Eastern Shore this year, be sure to bring some good old-fashioned manila rope, and we'll keel-haul a few of the SOB's. I've only got a 17-footer, but there's no law that says we've gotta be quick about it.