Fly Tying
troutslayerny

Best Fly Fishing Fiction?

A river runs through it is my favorite "novel" then anything by John Gerich his books are great.

"Trout Reflections" by david Carroll is a fine book along with a book called "I fish therefore I am & other Observations" by Patrick McManus.

There are many others but those are a few off the top of my head that I have enjoyed.

SD

Any fly fishing story that J. Johnson tells about one of his trips...

On the real side, I have to go with SD, a River Runs Through It, not only is it about fly fishing, it's a pretty good movie as well.

"Snowfly". I'm at work and I don't remember the author, so I'll post that a bit later. The book was a grin - a mystery thriller with fly fishing overtones! smile.gif

Joe C.

Robert Traver aka John Voelker. If you like Geirach you might just like Traver. Same style but 30 years earlier... and his tin cups are NOT full of coffee!

What a story teller! smile.gif

Victoria Houston's Loon Lake series of mysteries is pretty good. I have only seen them in paperback.

I have not read Patrick McManus in awhile but always enjoyed his stories.

Gierach is good also.

Peddler ..Robert traver that name sounds really familiar i cant think off hand but i know i have a book by him....thats not the guy that did one of the books called "trout maddness" or "dances with trout" is it?

Anything by Traver, Gierach or Middleton although I wasn't overly impressed with Middleton's On The Spine Of Time. Traver wrote some great books-Trout Madness and Trout Magic were classics. As I recall he also wrote Dial M For Murder which was later made into a movie. He was a retired judge from Michigan and I think wrote most of his books after he retired.

Dave

I have to go with Teioneon. Patrick McManus! I have read all his books and some a few times. Always good for a laugh.

BFR

Some great books mentioned above..........here's some others if anyone is interested in light winter reading:

William Tapply (Outdoor writer/columnist for american angler) writes the "Brady coyne" series. It's about an attornet that lives in boston and falls into $hit generally from friends/clients........in his spare time he ties flies and fly fishes all over New England.

Phillip Craig writes a series of mysteries based on Martha's Vineyard, the principal character in these is a commercial fisherman (no flyfishing), but the two of these authors have collaborated on a couple books which introduce Tapply's character to flyfishing for blues/stripers while solving mysteries.....I guess that sounds kind of hoaky, but i have enjoyed them.

Mike

Fumbling With a Fly Rod by Ian Colin James.

Well known Canadian fly fisherman/author/guide originally from Scotland.

Very funny and irreverant in person, and his book is the same. Light but quite enjoyable read.

I was at a course he gave a couple of years ago when I was just getting into fly fishing, and someone asked him what knot to use to tie the backing to the spool. I thought that was a good question, because as a beginner I'd had to make that decision a couple of times. In his finest Scottish brogue he said...."Och, who cares, if you ever have a fish get that far out on you you've nary a prayer of getting him back anyway !"

Also anything from John Gierach.

tongue.gif

My favortie would have to be "Trout Madness" by Robert Traver.Although it is a collection of short stories or experiences fly fishing.It is also a 1960 edition hardcover. Cover price is $6.50 biggrin.gif