Fly Tying
Jolly Red

Propellor on fly

When I first started tying, flies with propellers were still popular for bluegill fishing. Don't hear much about them anymore, so I thought I would tie up a few and try them this year. Just wondering if anyone still uses these?

post-29776-0-38831300-1338777054_thumb.jpg

post-29776-0-30940800-1338777066_thumb.jpg

I think I have a few of them thar propellers left over from many years ago that I got from Herter's. I don't remember ever using any of them. I wished I had something to add. I hope that you report back on your success.

A few years back I put some on a few streamers I was tying up. I tried them on several occasions, but never felt that they were spinning properly. Still waiting for my first hit! I fished them in very murky water and could not see them to definitely determine if the propellers were in fact spinning. Need to try them in clear water to determine if the propellers are actually working. I used beads in conjunction, as shown in the photo (above)and as used on other older patterns, to facilitate their working properly.

I have used small spinner blades tied in at the bend of the hook with decent results.

Cheers!

How fast would you need to be pulling the fly to achieve a good spin? It looks a good idea in principle but I reckon the lack of bulk sales shows that it never really took off. Same with the small plastic diving lips that came out a few years back but I've never seen them on a shop sold fly here in UK and finding them for home tying is not easy. They do work but probably came unstuck with the cross over from fly to lure and the whole when a flies a fly Q

I ended up tying over a dozen of these for a Peacock Bass trip on the Agua Boa River....a tributary to the Amazon.

At the end of a day on the water there were many stories of the fishing slowing way down at various times until the "prop fly", as it was named, was put into play. While standard streamer pattern production would tail off as the day lengthened, as soon as the prop fly was tied on it was a whole new wave of fishing, with confirmed tales of over 25 consecutive hits in a row.

The propeller creates a vibration that is a direct "message" to the lateral line sensory system of the fish. The vibrations created relay that there is easy or struggling prey in close proximity helping to trigger a strike. I never leave home without one these days.

post-43276-0-72825300-1338987676_thumb.jpg

How fast would you need to be pulling the fly to achieve a good spin? It looks a good idea in principle but I reckon the lack of bulk sales shows that it never really took off. Same with the small plastic diving lips that came out a few years back but I've never seen them on a shop sold fly here in UK and finding them for home tying is not easy. They do work but probably came unstuck with the cross over from fly to lure and the whole when a flies a fly Q

Pistol Pete's are available in Walmart in the Denver area. Lots are sold to spin fishermen who run them behind a clear weighted bobber on high country lakes.

D

agree there ,you need to pull them really fast to get them to rotate, by the time you get a good spin on them you are at the end of your retrieve , i did however find in faster water on a floating line you could hold them in the current and inch them back they work great then but they ain't so hot on big pike flies unless your trolling them .

the fly lips were a great idea and do work well on pike flies although they can be a pain in the butt to cast , they are fantastic on sinking lines with buoyant flies , i make them out of plastic milk cartons but them im scottish :rolleyes:

My problem with the pistol petes that I tied and fished was the twist to my tippet/leader. One friend who uses these for smallmouth actually ties a very small swivel at the joint between his knotless leader and tippet to counter that.

My problem with the pistol petes that I tied and fished was the twist to my tippet/leader. One friend who uses these for smallmouth actually ties a very small swivel at the joint between his knotless leader and tippet to counter that.

I've found that the blades spin easily at low speeds and have not had them cause any leader twist. The blade should be mounted directly in form of a small glass or brass bead which is secured in place such that it can't jam the bead. i've had good look with both trout and smallmouth with these tied in the form of a wooly bugger.