Fly Tying
Ebrant10

Platinum and ultra platinum hackle

Anyone own any or ever see one for sale? Wondering how much they are and where to find one if i can

get still searching for that "hackle fix"

Evan

There's a rumour that the highest grade capes are all going to Japan. Maybe because they can afford them! Anyway, I would talk to your friendly neighbourhood Whiting retailer and ask him to make a special order from Whiting. Since there can't be many of these capes each year, you may have to wait a while if its first-come-first-served. Good luck!

Edited by rockworm

and even if they are the highest grade they just might not be the ri=ght hackle for your particular requirement

i would have to have this type of high quality hackle in my hands for a personal inspection in a brick and mortar fly shop before buying them online. and yes some folks may trust the seller from an online fly shop. just be careful.

Flytire is absolutely right- If possible, always inspect a quality cape before you purchase it. If you must buy online, deal with someone who has proven himself trustworthy. (I removed the endorsement from my earlier post as being unnecessary.)

bruce

i too have dealt with greg in the past and would definately use him again.

Thanks for thr help all, I talked with my local shop with no luck. They called into Whitings and they didnt even have a list to get on to get them. I have more than enough hackle, its just become more of a collection to me than needing materials. I tie with mostly whitings bronze and silver grades, theres no denying it though there is nothing that beats it.

The thing I would question is the criteria used to classify hackles as Platinum and Platinum Plus. How relevant is it to real world fly tying? Some years ago I bought some Whitings Pro Grade necks, I asked the retailer what makes them pro grade? He said, "they have a high number of hackles with the fine tips broken." The tips on these hackles are so fine I find that they are useless for making hackle point wings anyway, and don't know of another application for them. I was happy to get very high grade hackle at a good price, because the bits I usually throw away are broken off.

Cheers,

C.

Anyone own any or ever see one for sale? Wondering how much they are and where to find one if i can

Evan

I own a Ultra Platinum in grizzly, and have seen and handled a few other Platinum and Ultra Platinum grade capes. I have not seen any lately and had heard that they are no longer available, this is just word of mouth though. The cape that I have was bought about 8 or 10 years ago and I think retail then was around $150.00. I bought this cape to add to my hackle collection, and have never "used" a single hackle from it. I totally understand your "want's" vs. "need's.

I do not agree that you have to inspect/handle hackle before you purchase it. Maybe 25+ years ago, but not today. A top hackle breeder like Whiting does not sell a bad cape or saddle, and if one does slip through im sure they would replace it. Even the smaller hackle breeders are producing great quality hackle. The only reason I would need to handle the cape would be if I am looking for a certain color that I needed to match.

Good luck, Tony

post-1838-0-16129800-1339117658_thumb.jpg

post-1838-0-03553300-1339117683_thumb.jpg

post-1838-0-34387500-1339117694_thumb.jpg

I believe that the barb count per inch is the factor they use to grade hackle. All the companies grade them differently, but it's all the same.

Evan

I own a Ultra Platinum in grizzly, and have seen and handled a few other Platinum and Ultra Platinum grade capes. I have not seen any lately and had heard that they are no longer available, this is just word of mouth though. The cape that I have was bought about 8 or 10 years ago and I think retail then was around $150.00. I bought this cape to add to my hackle collection, and have never "used" a single hackle from it. I totally understand your "want's" vs. "need's.

I do not agree that you have to inspect/handle hackle before you purchase it. Maybe 25+ years ago, but not today. A top hackle breeder like Whiting does not sell a bad cape or saddle, and if one does slip through im sure they would replace it. Even the smaller hackle breeders are producing great quality hackle. The only reason I would need to handle the cape would be if I am looking for a certain color that I needed to match.

Good luck, Tony

That is one killer cape! Drool drool!

Evan

Good luck, Tony

Tony, that is awesome, even finding pictures of these are hard to come by! I had emailed Whitings a few months back, they do still have them out there but they are very rare. Being that yours has some age to it, how would you compare it to todays gold grade necks? Some say the gold of today is what was considered the ultra platinums of yesterday. Ive never seen one in real life, and have been looking for almost a year now with no leads or anything. Thanks for sharing its awesome!

I believe that the barb count per inch is the factor they use to grade hackle. All the companies grade them differently, but it's all the same.

There have been articles in the flytying magazines on this. I seem to remember one of them saying that grading is based primarily on the estimated number of flies which could be tyed. Especially in the desireable range (#10 to #20 or something like that.) Uniformity of feather colour and imperfect tips are also considered.

Hello,

I also own what I BELIEVE to be a platinum grizzly hackle, but you can tell me if it is or not. The hackle is between, like you said Rockworm, size 10 and 20. I recieved it as a beautiful gift from a master tyer who admired what I was doing for being 14, and I hate using it but I have to, for it is the only grizzly cape I own.

Thank You and Tight Lines,

Carson LeBoeuf

post-43009-0-43406600-1339187431_thumb.jpg

post-43009-0-67238500-1339187439_thumb.jpg