Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
JarrodRuggles

TELEMARKETERS

The other day I was eating dinner and the phone rang. MY dad said he'd get it. So he picked it up and all I heard was " and I've got a deal for you " and then he hung up. I asked him what that was about. He said some guy said he had a deal for me. What is your experience with telemarketers (no offense to other telemarketers who may also be flyfisherman who also use this site) biggrin.gif

The most fun i had was a few years ago. I had a lady from ATT call and she was gonna save me all kinds of money. I told her that i wasnt really interested in saving money since i had a good job and saw no need to save any. I went on to tell her how money is no good after we die and that it is the root of all evil so i tried to spend mine as quickly as i could

the poor lady was just dumbfounded

I work the graveyard shift and when they call me I explain this to them and then ask for thier phone number so I can call them back at 2am when I'm up and they are asleep. sleep1.gif

I registered with the National do not call registry at page below. I don't know if it actually works or if I am just lucky, but I have not had any telemarketer calls in the last year. Now that it is legal for them to call you on your cell phone, I registered that phone also.

Tim

You have to look at it like a game. I usually ask them if they will hold on for a second. Then I set the phone down and see how long they will stay on the line without me talking to them. Have fun with it.

Charlie.

Call Display!....P.S. I dont answer the phone anyway unless you know the secret dialing method. That way I avoid all headaches.There is an answering machine.

A guy once called offering a security system - I always try to be polite because hey thats who I am.

He was explaining all the benefits, when he stopped to breathe I told him that I wasn't interested.

He demanded to know why I wasn't and I told him I lived in a nice neighborhood, I had a dog, I'm a big tough dude, and my wife is a gun owner trained to kill.

Then he went on this elaborate story about how I was out walking to dog the wife was shopping and I came home and got shot in the face by a psycho. "What then?" he demanded, "What Then???"

So I asked him to clarify whether I was wounded or dead - I was wounded, so I asked if my modeling career was over and sure enough it was. After a little thought I decided that in all likelihood I would probably lay on the ground and the psycho would have the next move. So I answered, "Well I'm in shock so its the psycho's move, what then does he do."

Apparently the psycho wants to kill me but this time with a knife.

The game was getting old fast so I told the dude that I'd thank him not to insult me again, I mean sure I'm a little pudgy but I played middle linebacker for my country and there is no way some pasty faced psycho comes into my house sees me, shoots me, and then decides he's better off with a knife, hell by now my dog is probably licking his hands or something.

Well this pissed him off royally (a lot more than I normally piss off people) and he starts screaming and threatening me and my family - enough so that afterwards my wife was uncomfortable and called the police.

Apparently a thief had been calling people in the area to sell security systems, then he would come out canvass the residence and rob them.

they are so fun I love to get the calls except when i am asleep i also work midnights so i sleep from about 7am to 1pm that is prime time for those dudes. I also mess with them ask lots of questions act interested as can be. then tell them NO. Be firm and short with them they can't stand it.

Just a little hobby of mine and my dads.l

Flymaster

There are times when it can be a game, a real fun game.

I had a siding and window company call me and wanted to come and

show me how bad things were and sell me new ones.

How could I argue? So I agreed and set up the appointment.

Of course the address I gave them didn't exist. And the directions to my

house were good (for nothing) then I hung up with a smile.

Forgetting all about the appointment the phone rang and my son answered it.

He knew nothing about it he wasn't home when I had made it. He tried to give the

phone to my wife explaining who it was but she didn't want to talk to him so he told the guy that his parents weren't home. Well the guy knew that was a lie and seemed rather

mad that I had sent him 20 miles out in the country for nothing. That’s 20 miles from my house and more like 50 from his office. He was cussing a little bit when my son hung up on him.

biggrin.gif

Nowadays, with the caller id craze and answering machines, I hardly ever answer the phone unless I know who it is, or I am expecting somone to call, who's number I do not know.

Back in the day however, that was a different story, my friends and I used to have a blast with telemarketers all the time. We'd answer the phone and let them give their speil about whatever it was they were selling, we'd then reply with something like, "I like cheese." Usually dumbfounded by a statement such as that, they'd either ask us to repeat that or ask to speak to someone else.

At this point, just say something else simple, and enjoy the frustration. I'm not sure how these companies work now, but back in the early 90's, most of these places were not allowed to hang up on potential customers unless the were being abusive.

A friend of mine used to make strange noises with his mouth open, almost a throaty, raspy belch sound that you could drag out as long as you could exhale. That was always a good time as well.

Hmm, think I might answer the phone tonight....

sk

They start with. May I speak to Brian. I ask them if we know each other? There answer NO. Then I want to know what right they have calling me Brian and it is Mr. Ahern and why do they not have respect for there elders. That ends the conversation.

Brian- with a few minor changes you sound quite like I do with these types of calls; thanks for that tidbit about "do we know each other...." My wife hates it if I pick up the phone and it's a sales call, no matter when, but more interestingly around supper time.

#1. "Hello, may I speak to..." Sometimes the caller doesn't get beyond "...speak to...." - my reply; "Nope!" and the phone goes down.

#2. "Hi, I'm calling...." - SLAM!

#3 - Non-profit hucksters anywhere between 2000 hrs. and beyond or on weekends - I launch into my unrelenting prosecutorial charming self dry.gif she especially hates it when I taunt, challenge, obnoxiously request callback information, etc., like so many of us do.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this