Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
jwf

Wish List Vise

I used a basic Thompson vise for years when I started tying. I now have a very nice Anvil Apex and a used basic statonary Regal vise. Both work very well! I am saving to get a Nor-Vise. I mostly tye nymphs with dubbing. Nor-Vise looks llke the real deal!

For dubbing or twisting in general, I doubt it can be beat. I question (having never used one) hook access, but have been assured it's not a problem.

My fiancee is saving for a Nor-Vise, I am saving for a JVise.

my wish list vise is a LAW vise but at my age i'm not holding my breath tying to get one so my original renzetti traveler is going to have to do til i'm gone.

My dream vise is the Damaseal vise. More than likely it will never happen because there are only four in the world.

The NorVise has no real problem with hook access unless you tie well into the bend. I love my NorVise, I wouldn't be without it.

I have had my wish list vises long before I even knew there was a wish list. I bought my Nor-vise the day I first saw it. I wouldn't even let Norm go home and ship me a new one, bought the one he had with him at the show. I have never had any "access" problems. A few years ago, I did have it retro-fitted with a gallows tool and friction screw, and got the fine point jaws also. Now I have everything I could want in the Nor-vise system.

If I ever start tying large warm water or salt water patterns again, I already have my Dyna-King Sidewinder. No need to wish for anything else. I would rather have several hundred dollars worth of Whiting Saddles and Necks, than another vise.

I couldn't put it better than what Utyer wrote above. I still play with other vises and have found a few that I like, but sitting down at the Nor Vise is like coming home. That's one less list I need to worry about :)

I may still pick up a J vise for travel. I use the DanVise for that now and love it, but the J vise is prettier. And of course there is the collection...you can never have enough antiques...but I wouldn't part with my Nor Vise.

I forgot to mention my wish list vise, that would be a Renzetti Master for tying deer hair bugs. For everything else I can't see myself using anything but the Nor.

My dream vise is the Damaseal vise. More than likely it will never happen because there are only four in the world.

post-36252-0-23861300-1339488502_thumb.jpg post-36252-0-89515800-1339489017_thumb.jpg

Is this what your talking about? I dont know where you got your information about them being only four in the world, but Damaseal vises retail for about $2500 in the USA, or maybe they are just so expensive that four people in the world own one :blink: :lol:. This article was very informative about the Damaseal Vise and the process going about making one. This is a very beautiful vise and is also on my wishlist.

http://www.automaticbobbin.com/dama.htm

There does seem to be some confusion.

Ekich, on the page Flyman416 posted, says at the top of the page he made 3. But an image of one of the "damaseal"

vises further down the page shows it is #5 ? ! ? ! Average it out and there are 4 :blink:

post-36252-0-23861300-1339488502_thumb.jpg post-36252-0-89515800-1339489017_thumb.jpg

Is this what your talking about? I dont know where you got your information about them being only four in the world, but Damaseal vises retail for about $2500 in the USA, or maybe they are just so expensive that four people in the world own one :blink: :lol:. This article was very informative about the Damaseal Vise and the process going about making one. This is a very beautiful vise and is also on my wishlist.

I heard that he was only making four of them and selling three of them for $2,500. I'm not sure if he has sold all of them yet.

I heard that he was only making four of them and selling three of them for $2,500. I'm not sure if he has sold all of them yet.

I know we are talking about a wish list, and I'm not judging anyone's opinion here, but in my opinion that vice had better function like no other because it has to be the ugliest vice I have ever seen! I appreciate beauty in a tool when it flows from the function. But when it is just layered on top like icing on a cake, it really looks odd.

On the other hand, I can appreciate the appeal of a limited edition hand made tool. Bluegill576, I'll look forward to your review ;)

I like it because of the space it has to put your hand on the left of the hook. that's one thing that annoys me about normal vices. Here is the picture I have seen of it:

post-31787-0-47410300-1339539889_thumb.jpg