Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Joe Dowdy

My first fly (what you think)

I think you may have been going for this. With the lead eyes mounted like they are (which is right,) the fly will ride with the hook point up (again the right way,) but your colors will be reversed. The lighter side of your fly will end up on the top and the dark color on the bottom. In general, the lighter color should be on the belly of the minnow, and the darker color on the back. Watch the video carefully and try again.

You should use white or clear mono thread so that it blends into the fly. The darker color is NOT bound down behind the lead eyes at all in a Clouser minnow. Only the bottom is wrapped down the hook shank behind the eyes. Bob uses some flash inserted between the light and dark hair in the video, but it can be left out.

I couldn't even tell what my first fly was once I was done with it! So, you are not off to a bad start. I will add to what has already been said by suggesting to make sure and only use the top 2/3 of the deer tail when tying Clouser's. The hair toward the bottom of the deer tail is more hollow, and will flare like crazy.

-Forrest

I couldn't even tell what my first fly was once I was done with it! So, you are not off to a bad start. I will add to what has already been said by suggesting to make sure and only use the top 2/3 of the deer tail when tying Clouser's. The hair toward the bottom of the deer tail is more hollow, and will flare like crazy.

-Forrest

Good reminder on the hair there. was struggling with some hair last week and that'll be why.

The head is too long; it almost completely covers the hook eye, making it difficult to insert the tippet. You should stop the head just behind the hook eye. This is typically referred to as 'crowding the eye'. Ditto the other comments.

I would like to add a note to famill00's comment about using the upper 2/3 of a bucktail. In general, this is a very good point; however, one can find bucktails with fine useable hair the entire length; in which case you can use the entire tail. You just need to learn what the proper hair looks like and then determine how much of the tail you can use for Clousers.

Cheers!

There is some good, constructive criticism on here. My advice is to just keep it up and you will have presentation quality flies before you know it.

Looks good for a first fly. Best advice that was given to me is just keep tying and be imaginative. The fish have no idea what the fly you are tying is supposed to look like.

I am not an experienced fly tyer by any means but am always watching videos and trying to combine techniques and materials to come up with my own recipes.

I did the same thing with my first couple of flies except I over loaded the hair etc. Really added to lobsided swimming flies. Keeping it sparse as you did is better for sure.

Keep tying and post up the fish you do catch on your own

creations.

looks good, keep going and you will be soon tying like a pro. My first fly was an olive marabou leach and I tied it 32 years ago, my dad still keeps it in his box to tease me with, lol.