Fly Tying
KayTs Flies

Crawdad/shrimp eyes

Im new to the fly tying world but am keeping my eyes and ears open to new things and i wanted to pass this along to everyone. I dont know how "new" this is but i had one of those thoughts that i acted on. Some people debate on the need for eyes on crayfish or shrinp patterns. For me i think its a must, to try and get to the real thing as possible considering thats what we are trying to mimic. So here goes. I took very fine bristles of a synthetic brush i bought for a dollar at the local store. Cut some of the bristles off of it. Dipped individual bristles in shhan (sally hansen, hard as nails), to form a tear drop at the end of each one. I then let them hang for about 15-20 minutes to let them harden and then dipped them in red acrylic model paint. again letting them dry for about 15-20 minutes. I havent used these in a pattern yet but im going to soon. Ive seen the same type of thing in fly shops for outrageous amounts so i tried my own. If anyone has any input please feel free to reply. Im just passing some info along cause it doesnt do the rest of the world of fishing any good if i keep it to myself. Tight lines everyone.

post-43737-0-27182900-1340106509_thumb.jpg

Here's my simple approach to eyes using the same general concept.

Cut several 4-6 inch pieces of 8-12lb mono

Heat one end (I use a candle) to form a small bulb of melted mono

String on a tiny seed bead down to the bulb end

Dip the bead and bulb into SH and hang to dry

Using different color seed beads will produce different colored eyes

The bristles from brushes are a good source of fibres. Even the cost of a proper bagder bristle brush used for shaving works out not too expensive when you look at how many fibres you're getting from a brush. Its a good use of the thicker SH when you have had it open a while.

Wife just gave me a whole heap of seed beads in different colours. I'll have to take a look at using some for this.

For eyes I use the stamens used for making flowers in cake decorating. Colour them with a marker pen than coat in Diamond Hard UV resin. Done in seconds, no messing, no dribbling candle wax or burnt fingers.

Cheers,

C.

Wife just gave me a whole heap of seed beads in different colours. I'll have to take a look at using some for this.

seed beads? can ya post a pic of some. i may call em something different but im interested none the less. Thanks Piker20

thanks flytire. i appreciate the info. Ive seen alot of your post and consider you to be a wealth of knowledge. im new to this stuff so i have to rely on what i know and what i learn from pro's like yourself. thanks again

seed beads? can ya post a pic of some. i may call em something different but im interested none the less. Thanks Piker20

http://www.tiddlybeads.co.uk/en/toho-japanese-seed-beads/size-11/frosted-opaque/

Hope this link works. The ones I have are the tiny 1.5mm ones. They come in loads of colours. Not fully round. they are flattened slightly so more like a donut shape.