Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Fish For Life

Flt fishing small rainbow trout!

These trout are 8-12 inch fish.what are some good flys for small trout. And any tips for catching these little guys. Ive caught these fish with a bobber and worms, i couldn't keep them of my line.

Thanks

small flies. size 16, 18. Funny thing is, I've caught small trout on Hoppers, so it is more about what they are feeding on.

I'd start with some royal wulffs and adams if they are still not eating its going to be about what's hatching

I second that! An Elk- Hair caddis, Klinkhammer, Hare's Ear Nymph, or a Pheasant tail nymph are also all good (large and small) trout flies

I fish a little water with fish down to 4inch. They love a #20 or #18 with a dub of hares fur and a tail tag of a little chartreuse chenille. I agree, scale down any 'normal' pattern and scale the tippet back to let the small fly swim well.

Size of the fish does not matter. Trout are trout no matter of they are 6" or 20" and will eat whatever is hatching. I have even caught 6" trout on a strea,er that was as big as the fish, no need to worry about scaling down fly size for them. Just match whatever size of whatever hatches on the waters you fish and you'll be fine.

Steve