Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
jdecoudres

Drift Boats

Looking at purchasing a drift boat. Never rowed one but fished out of one a couple times. I will occasionally have 3 people total but a lot of times I will be solo so was wondering if you drift boat people could give me some reviews ideas ect to help me research on the right boat. Most of my fishing is on Tanneycomo in Missouri and the white river in Arkansas. been looking at the head water skiff anyone know anything about it. Well if you could give me your ideas on drift boats it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

I've owned two driftboats so far in my life. First was a 14ft Lavro "Lazy drifter" and the second one was a 18'Hyde Combo model. I'm not too familiar with the Headwaters that you mentioned (got a link?)but I will tell you that it is hard to beat a Hyde for the price/easy of rowing&control. My 18ft fiberglass Hyde was an absolute dream to row and I wish I never would have sold it now. Clackacraft makes a very good boat as well but IMO they are a bit pricey when compared to a Hyde and not really all that different in features/control.

Steve

I looked at the whole drift boat thing myself a year ago. I fish good sized rivers that have a few drift boats on them already.

the long and short of it I ended up fixing up a 12ft V hull aluminum row boat and put a 6 hp outboard on it.

Some things to consider.

1) if your using a boat with no motor and fishing alone how are you going to get the boat back up the river to your vehicle?

2) how many people are you going to have in the boat? if 3 is the most than a drift boat, john boat or a row boat (V-hull) of 14 ft should work ok. One person is going to have to row almost all the time.

3) If your going to fish alone then a good easy to operate anchor system is a Must!! You'll have to be able to easily drop anchor when you hook a fish. Any drift boat or john boat or row boat can be set-up this way.

4) how much do you want to spend? A drift bosat is going to be the most expensive, even used. Small used John boats and row boats can be had easily for under $500 with a trailer, used motors for under $500 also. I paid $200 for my boat and trailer, $1300 for a new Merc 6 HP for a total of $1500.

I am very happy with the way I went. A drift boat is a more specialized craft, But a John boat or Row Boat with a small outboard on it is very versatile, you can use it in a lake without having to row all over the place, Its a lot lighter than a drift boat and smaller too, making it easier to haul, launch and load. The only advantage a drift boat has its ability to go down very rough rapids. I can go down about anything that you would take a canoe down. You have to evaluate that with the type of rivers your going to fish. I can easily launch my boat and load it by myself. I can disconnect the boat and trailer from the tow vehicle and easily move them around by myself. The length of the boat on the trailer is about 14ft. Shorter than alot of cars. A small outboard uses very little gas. I go thru maybe 1-2 gallons for 3 days of solid fishing. If you go the outboard route make sure you get on with a tank built in to the motor. Makes things simpler. Also with the small outboard I can put it in "shallow water drive" and run thru water as shallow as 6-8 inches. I can run up moderate rapids with it at a very slow speed just working around rocks logs etc. Its not as sexy as a drift boat but it is smaller, lighter, more versatile and cheaper, what's not to love? Another option you man not of considered.

The only advantage a drift boat has its ability to go down very rough rapids.

Not to insinuate your wrong or anything, but there actually are a couple other bigger advantages to a drift boat over other boats. The big thing about drift boats is the maneuverability and ease of control. While most small boats (flat bottom Jon or V hull both) take some work to get them turned and maneuvered while in moving current, a drift boat only takes one gentle stroke with the oar and it will spin almost 180 degrees with little effort. This is due to the shape of the bottom of the bottom and having very little surface area in contact with the water. So they have much more maneuverability. Plus they only draft about 4-5" of water.

They also weigh very little. The 15ft Hyde is around 275lbs so wight isn't really a concern when comparing a drift boat to other boats.

Steve

I guess I will have to be different.

When I was searching for a boat, I looked at everything fron a flat bottom to a full fledge drift boat. But I chose neither. I decided on the Model M-2, Two Man Creek Boat. the draw back is that it only has room for two people and is a modified flat bottom canoe. It is powered by a DIGITAL, Motor Guide Trolling Motor with 54 Lbs of thrust and guided by foot pedals to steer the boat. You push the left pedal it steers to the left, push the right it goes right, keeps your hands free.

The boat itself only weights 100 Lbs. the motor less then 20 Lbs. I recommend carring 2 batteries, just in case but adds extra weight.

This boat is not for everyone, but was a great choice for me.

http://www.creekboats.com/greentop_2man.htm

You will probably need to copy that link into your browser.

Jeff

I am up here in Montana and on the most of our rivers a drift boat works well. On the Bighorn we can't us boats with motors. I have drifed in a couple of differnt boats and you will get what you pay for. I personally have a 17 ft lavaro built in the mid 80'and have had no trouble.