Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Archimedes

Adams Parachute Help Needed

So I made my fist attempt at tying an Adams Parachute today for my very first fly. Needless to say it went well untill it came time to tie the calf hair on as the para post. First let me just say that the calf hair was non-cooperative! I definitley see the importance of a hair stacker now especially since I dont have one yet(ordering today). But even after I managed to get a good clump tied on with 3-4 wraps, it's very hard to get it to stay in an upright position to begin tying a figure 8 around it. I tried using the guillotine with the hackle pliers which only started pulling hair out of my tied down clump(I hope someone is laughing by now at my plight of the calf hair). So needless to say I dont think I am ready for calf hair yet.

I saw this video on Youtube with a guy who used Antron as the parachut material and I have to say it looked like it was much more manageable than calf hair. So I went online to look for Antron and it seems like there are several kinds to choose from. Can anyone suggest what kind of Antron I should use or maybe an easier material to use for the parachute? Thanks!

Try any of the antron that comes wound on a card. Poly is good also, especially for size 16 and down. It gets a little limp for larger flies. Hi Vis makes a good winging material. As to the calf hair, it is a little more of a hassle. Try calf body hair and get all the shorter underfibers out. Tie the wing in first. Put a good dam of thread up against it in front toward the hook eye before you make your wraps around the hair for the post. Don't use too large a bunch of hair or it will be stiff and difficult to get it to set up. Good luck.

You say it went well until it came time to tie on the calf tail? What did you tie on before the calf tail? It's usually a good idea to tie the wing on FIRST, get it done and upright and THEN tie the tail and dub the body. Now your ready to tie your hackles up the base of the post, and wrap them down to the body and tie them off. And YES use the Antron or Poly wing material, its much easier to work with and the fish won't care at all.

I have never really liked the parachute style and rarely tie them for myself. I have tied hundreds of dozens for others, but I don't think I could find one in my stash at all right now.

I'd use antron. Calf hair is dense, and leaves a "step" on the hook shank.Antron works really well and is easy to use for a post. And I agree, the post should be tied on first.

You say it went well until it came time to tie on the calf tail? What did you tie on before the calf tail? It's usually a good idea to tie the wing on FIRST, get it done and upright and THEN tie the tail and dub the body. Now your ready to tie your hackles up the base of the post, and wrap them down to the body and tie them off. And YES use the Antron or Poly wing material, its much easier to work with and the fish won't care at all.

I have never really liked the parachute style and rarely tie them for myself. I have tied hundreds of dozens for others, but I don't think I could find one in my stash at all right now.

Well the first thing I did was wrap the hook down to the bend and then I tied in some calf hair for the tail, this part went well. It's when I began to wrap back to the eye and tie on the parachute that I had trouble. I only did a few wraps around the calf hair to position it where I wanted so I could stand the hair in an upright position. The hair just didnt want to co-operate with me. I dont know if I didnt have long enough hair or what. I just bought one of the 2" square patches of calf hair from Hareline. In the videos I have been watching they usually have a nice long strand of whatever it is they are using for the para.

Yes, using calf tail for building a parachute is a PITA. When I started using Antron or frayed nylon rope (think Wally world) it made my life much, much easier. And finding Charlie's technique sure helped immensely. Hated the "step" that I got with calf tail.

Bill

I use antron. Leroy Hyatt has a nice video on a parachute adams here: www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBBFeqWs2Ps. He also uses moose hair for the tail for better floatation. I like how he adds the hackle to the post; I have started using this approach on all of my parachute flies.

I use antron. Leroy Hyatt has a nice video on a parachute adams here: www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBBFeqWs2Ps. He also uses moose hair for the tail for better floatation. I like how he adds the hackle to the post; I have started using this approach on all of my parachute flies.

I tie my hackle off on the post as in the video but I prefer Charlie Craven's method of tying and winding the hackle on the post and his method of tying the post material onto the hook. His video is below and he ties off at the eye, but he has since written an article in Fly Fisherman Magazine that says he changed to tying off on the post.

From his article: "Several methods are viable for tying off the hackle feather once it is wrapped, but most of them are relatively complicated. For far too long I was a staunch advocate of trapping the tip of the feather against the hook shank behind the eye with the thread, until I gave in and tried tying off the hackle feather on the post. Tying off on the post with an unobtrusive thread such as Gudebrod 10/0, Gordon Griffiths 14/0, or Giorgio Bennechi 12/0 eliminates any difficulties catching the feather, any chance of trapping fibers so they splay out and become disarrayed, and is easily mastered in far less time than other methods."

The two minute parachute:

This question got me thinking about parachute posts. There are lots of different ways to tie them in. Here are five different ways that came to mind.

"Along the body"

Just tie the post material along the hook shank stand up the portion that extends beyond the eye. Trim the other end at an angle and it helps form the taper of the body.

3415f512.jpg

18e4e50d.jpg

"Under the hook shank"

Tie the post material in across the top of the hook shank with crossed wraps.

9fefd4f9.jpg

Twist it around the hook shank (in the same direction you wind the thread so it tightens)

30ba922a.jpg

Lift both sides and take the thread around the post.

50114408.jpg

616d1299.jpg

"On top of the hook shank"

Tie the post down to the top of the hook shank. Lift both sides and take the thread around the post.

f609752f.jpg

c20a242a.jpg

"Loop Wing"

Tie in behind the eye, form the loop, tie down behind the loop. Trim both loose ends at an angle so the body tapers.

b9ead474.jpg

6c5c493f.jpg

"Foam Post"

Take a piece of foam and trim one end at an angle. Tie down to the top of the hook shank. After winding the hackle you can trim this under tension quite close to the hackle. It will "mushroom" out.

bc7c3ea9.jpg

8852115a.jpg

These are just a selection of ways to make a parachute post. There are, no doubt, lots more ways. These should give you a good starting point.

Cheers,

C.