Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Jim2Flies

Airplanes and dragon flies

Here are a couple.

A friend (non fly tier or fisher) and I came up with this fly 5 yrs ago in a meeting at Learjet. I happened to have some feathers in my daytimer and everyone was late.

I did a T tail (learjet style) also out of Mallard wings.

Pretty cool when someone that has no idea on fly tying or has never done it helps you in a creative way. His name is R. Puetz, pronounced "Pitts." So... the fly is aptly named the Puetz Special.

Merry Christmas to all you thread winders and hackle dunkers.

2Flies

post-2-1103891233.jpg

Actually that is my boeing fly. the Lear fly has a T tail and quills for the engines.

The tail is two feathers back to back and bent. The RH vertical is folde to make up the LH horizontal.

post-2-1103909944.jpg

a little fact for you all about airplanes and fly fishing...

you might not know this but airplanes and fly fishing have much in common...Igor I. Sikorsky, the revolutionary helichopter designer also made several advances in fixed-wing (airplanes) aviation...while flying arround in a single engine airplane his carburator became clogged with none other than "mosquitos" which were later discovered to be mayflies...he had a revolutionay idea to build an aircraft that had two propellers with independant power plants...unlike the wright brothers that used one engine to power two propellers...so had it not been for the mayfly you would not have the "lear jet" (often a generic term for all coorperate aircarft) and large passenger transports that have two or more engines...

how's that for brain food... blink.gif

Yup...

I actually spent the weekend with Igor Sikorsky III at lake Munsungen in Northern Maine in 1999 or 2000. Bradford Camps.

The II was there as well. It was an avaiation weekend. Me and my boss, the VP of Customer service Bombardier/Learjet, went up there to bask in the tales of history from the horses mouth. Actually rode in on a 172 floatplane. One highlight was the Caravan on floats.

Got to see and hear the family history first hand. Igor III said it was such a success that he was going to do it annually.

Been doin the aircraft thing for almost 18 years now. Met lotsa fly fishing folk from around the world. They go hand in hand.

J2F, those are very creative flies. Thought: "A moment of creativity in time results in an eternal masterpiece." Thanks for sharing with us. smile.gif

2Flies, you really should go bass fishing with those airplane flies! You never know and it would make quite a story to hook a big hog on an airplane!

cheers and Merry Christmas!

Michael