Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Rocco

The Key Influence on Your FT

I am sure each of us have different inputs which induced us to we evolve into the tyers we are. The most important impacts most likely have several several roots. And age differences are probably telling ---younger guys probably would cite the internet which relutionized Joe average's access to flytying data. Anyway,I'd be intersted in hearing your experiences.

I was proabaly mostl;y under the sway of authors of books who swayed me towards their concepts -- like Borger. LaFontaine, Darrrel Martin.

There is more, but this is just a kick off on the topic.

Rocco

Wendall Campbell, owner of Wagonwheel Sporting Goods in Burley, Idaho back in 1978. I took his 10 session fly tying course and was "hooked" in the first hour! Wendall grew up around Jackson Hole and fishedwith and/or knew & had a zillion stories about Jack Dennis, Franz Potts (Mite Series), Dan Bailey & more guys who's names escape me at the moment. Then I got aquainted with Ruhl Stayner (Stayner Ducktail) at his Twin Falls shop where he showed me how to properly tie the Ducktail and introduced me to float tubing. He also sold me my first flyrod blank and lined me out on building rods.

Actually, the internet for this not so young guy too. By extension, that would mean most of you guys on here have taught me and influenced me the most, as this was the first and still is a main site for me...Thanks folks!

Murray

I started WAAAAAY before Al Gore ever thought up the Internet. I have had so many influences over the years its impossible to name them all. My first major influences was Wayne Casto, he was my boss and mentor for two summers in Jackson Hole. Wayne was a fly fisher but he didn't tie flies. He took me out and taught me how to cast, and helped me sort out a small number of effective patterns from the hundreds of different flies in our "local" shop (Bob Carmichael's in Moose, Wy.) Using fewer than a dozen patterns, we fished all over the "Hole," and Yellowstone Park. I went home after the end of that summer determined to re-learn fly tying. Using only the Wise Fisherman's Encyclopedia, and the short list of patterns Wayne had selected, I was on my way.

The next summer, we continued to float the Snake and fish every day. The Cutthroats were my best critics. The soon taught me what was wrong with my patterns. In July, I got J Edson Leonard's Flies as a birthday gift, I learned basic proportions from that book and have been reading and collecting fly tying books ever since. I have over a hundred books on fly tying, and was fortunate enough to meet and take lessons from quite a few of the authors. I never tied nymphs until I read The Art of Tying the Wet Fly by James Leisenrig and Vernon Hidy. I started tying no hackles after reading Selective Trout, and then switched to Comparaduns after reading Hatches. From then on, the Comparadun was my main dry fly, and today, I have almost stopped using hackle on dry flies of any kind. Syl Nemes was another influence, and the list just goes on and on.

I have always looked at fly tying as an evolutionary process, and I am constantly being influenced by new sources including many tiers on this and other Internet sites. I have recently been looking into the history of fly tying, and have been influenced by many of those early patterns.

My Grandfather. Both my parents fly fished, but not well. I am thankful that we vacationed on the Beaverkill at the state campgrounds and I got a lot of fishing in. My Grandfather really taught me the craft of fly fishing. He liked wet flies and streamers. He loved night fishing for eels and big trout. My first really good fly rod was a 9ft 7wt Fenwick which is the night fisher's dream. He did not tie. My sister bought her obsessed eight year old brother a Noll kit (me) for his birthday and I was hooked. My Grandfather was friends with Harry and Elsie and I got lessons from them. I love Catskill flies and the Darbees were super to me as a child. Elsie was so patient and knowledgable.

post-3361-0-08031800-1341525956_thumb.jpg

post-3361-0-35286600-1341525719_thumb.jpg

post-3361-0-86988000-1341525749_thumb.jpg

My Grandfather was a fireman on the O&W Railroad, that was his job, but fishing, he would always take his pole and gear on the train. He was in several train wrecks. Below is a photo of one. Look at the second man over from the right. What is he holding? How many of you would save their fishing rod?

post-3361-0-95193300-1341525996_thumb.jpg

Been thinking about this one; i got into fly tying a good while after picking up fly fishing, so most of my influences are pretty recent. In no particular order, i would have to say A.K. Best, Lefty Kreh, Fran Betters, Craig Matthews, Tim Borski, Davie McPhail (maybe the most), Dave Pinczkowski, Peter Smith, and Dwayne Miller (you should see his Dee flies). I'm sure the stuff i picked up from a lot of these guys came to them from folks who were before them, but these are the ones i would list.

I started tying within weeks of buying my first fly rod when I was about 20. Within months, maybe weeks I learned that there were a few fellas fly fishing the salt. Thought I was raised and lived in Indiana I was hooked on the idea of FF the salt and have never gotten over it. I remember reading an article of Stu Apt catching a FF record 151# tarpon. My fly tying has been influenced by Lefty and Joe Brooks. There was not a lot of printed info in 1970 on FF and FT the salt and even less available in Indiana. I drove 140 miles to get Left's book 'Fly Fishing In Salt Water' Copyrited 1974. I still go back and read it.