Fly Tying
Johnwvan

Whip Finishers

$9 compared to nothing is expense. Maybe not major to you, but still cash that doesn't need spending.

Yes you can finish parachutes with a whip finish tool, but not under the hackle around the post, as in the Klinkhamer. Not without changing the position of the hook.

As for small hooks I regularly tie down to size 26 and, occasionally, have tied on the Mustad size 32. The whip finish has been the least of my problems. With a well controlled whip finish you can see what is going on and place the thread just as you want it.

It's just one of the many tools in fly tying looking for a job. It is by no means a vital tool. Come to that the only two tools I couldn't tie without are scissors and dubbing needle. Everything else is for convenience. For me that means speed. Using any tool I don't have to makes the job slower. Not a consideration for many, I know. Tying commercially makes you very conscious of work flow. Keeping things as simple as possible makes for consistency and speed. Extra tools complicate things.

Cheers,

C.

Yes you can finish parachutes with a whip finish tool, but not under the hackle around the post, as in the Klinkhamer. Not without changing the position of the hook.

Sure you can. That is exactly how I tie my parachutes.

thats all good JU, but whip a size 24-28 dry fly..the small thompson does this best...

I simply did it on such a large scale to help people better understand the concept of the whip. I find once people understand that they whip in no time. Now doing it neatly just takes practice and a lot of whips. I also just posted the video for anyone interested in hand whipping. Some people prefer the tool and good for them. :)

I have zero issue hand whipping any fly of any size. As a matter of fact, I am a small fly nut, and the sizes you speak of are no problem at all. :)

Whip-finish at the back of the fly on stimulator hook (2X long) size #8, around wide foam strip and behind long hackle and rubber legs.

I didn't try any of my tools for it, but I'm still very sure that my fingers saved me a lot of time (and effort) when doing it.

"Much faster", "more precise" and "hardly an expense"... but in some situations the tool just isn't enough.

wiggle_bug.jpg

Don's "Megarelli" maybe would be something though. Wider range than most WF-tools (incl. fingers)... and much(!) easier to find on the bench.

This was sent to Frank Matarelli for his induction to the Fly-Tyers Hall of Fame and he had it lying on his podium there. He loved it and

apparently Don had a heck of a time getting him to send it back... so obviously a perfectly fine knock-off also to Mr Frank. :D

Megarelli2.jpg

I use C&F model and a cheapo Stonefly version - both are simply designed - no springs or over-large hooks and work great.

Having non-too smooth fingers, these tools are perfect for me and I can place a whip finish EXACTLY where I want it on the fly (not always at the eye!).

And if Charles Jardine is happy to use one - then so am I !!! -)

Darrell

Whip-finish at the back of the fly on stimulator hook (2X long) size #8, around wide foam strip and behind long hackle and rubber legs.

I didn't try any of my tools for it, but I'm still very sure that my fingers saved me a lot of time (and effort) when doing it.

"Much faster", "more precise" and "hardly an expense"... but in some situations the tool just isn't enough.

As noted in my earlier comment(#6), doing a whip finish on a bug such as this is a snap with a tool if you use the LARGE Matarelli. I whip finish the tails on bass bugs, both deer hair and balsa bodied on hooks to #1/0 with this whip finisher. There is no way I could do it any faster, nor more precisely, with my hands.

As noted in my earlier comment(#6), doing a whip finish on a bug such as this is a snap with a tool if you use the LARGE Matarelli. I whip finish the tails on bass bugs, both deer hair and balsa bodied on hooks to #1/0 with this whip finisher. There is no way I could do it any faster, nor more precisely, with my hands. The shanks of the hooks in the posted bugs are 8X Long and the tails of all were attached after the bodies were completed, and the whip finish was done with the large Matarelli, All are #1 or larger hooks.

Frank

As noted in my earlier comment(#6), doing a whip finish on a bug such as this is a snap with a tool if you use the LARGE Matarelli. I whip finish the tails on bass bugs, both deer hair and balsa bodied on hooks to #1/0 with this whip finisher. There is no way I could do it any faster, nor more precisely, with my hands. The shanks of the hooks in the posted bugs are 8X Long and the tails of all were attached after the bodies were completed, and the whip finish was done with the large Matarelli, All are #1 or larger hooks.

Frank

post-8431-0-18591100-1344255236_thumb.jpg

post-8431-0-15378100-1344255257_thumb.jpg

post-8431-0-05323500-1344255408_thumb.jpg