Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
rural

ADVICE : Hiwassee River and surrounding

ADVICE : Hiwassee River, TN and surrounding

Any info on suggested PDF files, maps, books, atlases, forest road accesses?

I dont necessarily want your honey hole, just a way to find my own. In accordance with DADT.

feel free to PM me. I am heading up there on the 4th from bham alabama and would like to do some adventure fishing on my own. If anyone else wants to show a trout newbie (not a flyfishing newbie) around let me know. I could probably save you a steak at the campfire.

Also, I know of the Hiwassee guide published in 1993. That is outdated now from my info since the TVA is scheduled releases and different access points.

Last question. How has the been fishing above the powerhouse?

feel free to PM or Email

thanks

tylerp

Having fished the E. TN tailwaters for years, I would suggest that you get the book "Tennessee Trout Waters - A Blue Ribbon Guide", written by Ian Rutter. It has some good tips, and great maps of the rivers with where to fish, access points, etc. Amazon has/had the book, and its also available from LRO, and RandRFlyFishing.com

Also, suggest you go to the forum on Little River Outfitters.com. Its a very active forum with up-to-date reports on the rivers, and discussions on hatches, flies, catches, etc. LRO is located in Townsend, TN., and is a great fly shop including on-line sales. The staff is very helpful and friendly, and will go out of their way to assist you. The Fishing Report has current conditions on the dams & lakes with current and projected dam releases.

Bill

I dont necessarily want your honey hole, just a way to find my own. In accordance with DADT.

feel free to PM me. I am heading up there on the 4th from bham alabama and would like to do some adventure fishing on my own. If anyone else wants to show a trout newbie (not a flyfishing newbie) around let me know. I could probably save you a steak at the campfire.

Also, I know of the Hiwassee guide published in 1993. That is outdated now from my info since the TVA is scheduled releases and different access points.

feel free to PM or Email

thanks

tylerp

There is a road that runs from Hwy 411 all the way to the Powerhouse goes right thru Reliance it stays along side of the river for 80% of the way. In the middle section here are roads on both sides of the river for most of the way. There is no secret access its all open to the public that is the trout water above Hwy 411. Watch the generation times once the water comes up it is not wadable so DON"T get caught in the river bed when the water rises. Fishing during 0 generation can be diffucult as the fish are spooky and holding in the deeper holes, I recomend nymph with small or midge droppers, or dry /midge droppers on long small tippets

I haven't been above the Powerhouse this year, its good at times but too warm now.

feel free to PM or Email

thanks

tylerp

There is a road that runs from Hwy 411 all the way to the Powerhouse goes right thru Reliance it stays along side of the river for 80% of the way. In the middle section here are roads on both sides of the river for most of the way. There is no secret access its all open to the public that is the trout water above Hwy 411. Watch the generation times once the water comes up it is not wadable so DON"T get caught in the river bed when the water rises. Fishing during 0 generation can be diffucult as the fish are spooky and holding in the deeper holes, I recomend nymph with small or midge droppers, or dry /midge droppers on long small tippets

I haven't been above the Powerhouse this year, its good at times but too warm now.

The best fishing is 2 generators which is high water and throw streamers or double nymph rigs but you've got to have access to a boat which means a guide and $ If your interested in that shoot me a PM I give you some names, North of the Hiwassee is the Tellico River, desent sized water at the bottom end of the trout section, gets smaller the farther upstream you go, Very decent shot at Brookies in the upper North River and Bald rivers (both tributaries to the Tellico River)