Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Piker20

Marker pens for Flies

Hi all, I have seen plenty of folk using marker pens to colour the variety of synthetic materials tiers now use. Are sharpie markers the ones used most or is there another option thats cheaper? I don't want to find the colours leach into each other or run through the material. Amazon UK have a good selection of pastel sharpies that I am thinking about.

as far as i know, ANY BRAND of waterproof marker is acceptable.

some folks will be biased to one brand or another

I use them all, have the complete line of sharpies. The newer colors are great they have a killer olive in the packs.

Some years ago I bought the full set of Letraset Fly Tyers pens. They are still going strong after many years of use (at least 6 possibly 8). The selection of colours isn't bad. Though I do find that the colours fade after a lot of use.

Cheers,

C.

Like Norm Said, brand doesn't matter much as long as they're permanent. Just be sure to store them point down and they'll last for a very long time. Most of mine are at least ten years old, and some are much older than that.

The way to make sure that the colors don't leak into each other is to let them dry completely before adding the next color. In many cases that may take 24 hours.

I use both Sharpie and Prismacolor markers on occasion.. but must admit that I've gotten away from them a bit since the colors fade pretty quickly as the fly gets used. The one time that isn't the case is when the marked materials are later coated (Flex Seal when hardening up spun and clipped deerhead patterns).

The way to make sure that the colors don't leak into each other is to let them dry completely before adding the next color. In many cases that may take 24 hours.

^ Good to know.^

Capt Bob LeMay, guess you can re-colour the faded flies?

Flies just don't last very long in the salt, period. They're either shredded by the fish or beaten up working mangrove shorelines, bounced off concrete pilings at night... they have a hard way to go. To complicate matters a fly that's had a good amount of use in the salt may have hidden corrosion up under body materials where you can't see it... You hook a fish on one and the hook may fail if it's been used a few times (even when carefully rinsed in freshwater and allowed to dry before storage...) The fading I've noted was when actually using them that first day. I want a saltwater bug to stay bright colored for at least that first use....

Tight lines

Bob LeMay

(954) 435-5666

The fading I've noted was when actually using them that first day. I want a saltwater bug to stay bright colored for at least that first use....

Tight lines

Bob LeMay

(954) 435-5666

Um, I would be using them on flies for salt water 70% of their time. Might just stick to using materials already coloured and tune up my tying tecnique to give me the effect I'm after.