Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Fly Fishing Idaho

What tying materials do I need?

I just started tying and I have all the tools I need such as stacker, bobbin, threader, bodkin, scissors, vise and lots of other tools, But I need materials. All I have is red marabou, Elk hair, one thing of hackle and black chenille. I need more hackle and dubbing hooks but I need a list of materials and I have no Idea exactly what I need.

it really all depends on what you want to tie, but i would definatly pick up some beads ,mono eyes,foam 2mm, and lots of mallard feathes,wood duck,partridge. and more hackles neck,sadle..oh yeah and some good deer hair elk and moose

it really all depends on what you want to tie, but i would definatly pick up some beads ,mono eyes,foam 2mm, and lots of mallard feathes,wood duck,partridge. and more hackles neck,sadle..oh yeah and some good deer hair elk and moose

I suggest purchasing a material kit or even an orvis fly tyer variety bag. They are $15 dollars and come with a large variety of random fly tying stuff. Not always the greatest stuff but a great way to start collecting materials..

Pick out a few flies that you would like to start tying and buy the materials you need for just those specific flies. It will give you a good starting point and won't break the bank. Later, you will move on to other patterns and you will start to build a supply of various materials. That's my advice anyway.

Pick out a few flies that you would like to start tying and buy the materials you need for just those specific flies.

Yeah pick the fly or flies you think you'll fish most and buy stuff to tie them. Once you are going you will quickly find yourselve buying stuff.

find the 5-10 flies you want to learn how to tie

review the recipes and buy those materials. what you will be doing is building a supply of tying materials that will eventually be used for other patterns and even some that you will create on your own.

find the flies on you tube and watch the videos on how to tie them. most tyers on you tube just tie flies and dont really go into alot of the techniques and what they mean.

i have personally downloaded every video hans weillenmann has put on you tube and i find a new or a use of a technique in almost every video and i've been tying over 30+ years. i'm still learning and thank him for what he is doing for younger tyers just starting out. some flies are more advanced but for the most part, they are all pretty easy to tie.

hans weillenmann channel on you tube

http://www.youtube.com/user/HansWeilenmann?ob=0&feature=results_main

here is 5 patterns you may want to start out with

woolly bugger

gold ribbed hares ear

pheasant tail nymph

cdc & elk (easier to tie than an elk hair caddis)

trude style dry fly

if you can, buy the book in the following link. it is the "BIBLE" on fly tying techniques

http://www.amazon.com/The-Fly-Tiers-Benchside-Reference/dp/1571881263

one more thing: lessons never hurt anyone