Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
sniksoh

strike indicators for bass?

anyone use strike indicators much for largemouth. i was thinkin about some new tactics to try last night and strike indicators popped in my head just wonderin if anyone has any success with them fishing for largemouth

Snik, down here a guy by the name of Glenn "Catch" Cormier came up with a strike indicator he and now many others use in the salt as well as the freshwater from speckled trout to bluegill and sac-au-lait to bass. He coined it the VOSI for Vertically Oriented Strike Indicator to make it sound less offensive that one is actually using half of a perch float.

Check out his article here:

http://laflyfish.com/flies/vosi.php

Kirk

A strike indicator for salt water? For once, I'm speechless. (hey, it could happen) :huh:

Peter, these guys fish a lightly weighted clouser or crazy charlie, etc. under their VOSI and kill the speckled trout! You've got to realize that most of the year, four feet of water is deep down here and to keep the fly at eighteen to twenty four inches suspended in the current, is apparently deadly. I don't fish specks much so can't speak from experience but it certainly makes sense as most of the spin fishermen fish a jig under a "cork".

They just cast the VOSI rig out and twitch it and let the current take it and twitch it and voila, speck on.

It works good for them with the marabou/Cat's Whisker kind of flies in freshwater too. I just use a popping bug in freshwater if I'm fishing a dropper.

Kirk

A dragon fly or popper will serve you a good indy in case the bass wants to smash it.

A strike indicator for salt water? For once, I'm speechless. (hey, it could happen) :huh:

Peter, these guys fish a lightly weighted clouser or crazy charlie, etc. under their VOSI and kill the speckled trout! You've got to realize that most of the year, four feet of water is deep down here and to keep the fly at eighteen to twenty four inches suspended in the current, is apparently deadly. I don't fish specks much so can't speak from experience but it certainly makes sense as most of the spin fishermen fish a jig under a "cork".

They just cast the VOSI rig out and twitch it and let the current take it and twitch it and voila, speck on.

It works good for them with the marabou/Cat's Whisker kind of flies in freshwater too. I just use a popping bug in freshwater if I'm fishing a dropper.

Kirk

Kirk, I've seen it occasionally done with poppers in salt water, it's just the terms "strike indicator" or "VOSI" that threw me. I'd imagine it's a very productive technique for LM bass, or especially crappies. Up north, it's also something you see mostly spin guys do, though I've seen steelheader flyrodders use floats, and catch a lot of fish doing it. Sight fishing in shallow water for striped bass has become popular in recent years up there - I'd bet suspending a fly would be deadly in that case also, though I've never seen it done. They're a conservative bunch up there - anything slightly out of the ordinary, and they look at you like you're using a harpoon. Of course, here on the Eastern Shore of Virginia, the mere fact that I use a fly rod has already caused more than a few eyebrows to go up. Guess the scourge of conformity respects no boundaries.

...the mere fact that I use a fly rod has already caused more than a few eyebrows to go up. Guess the scourge of conformity respects no boundaries.

You sure its the fly rod that causing eyebrows to go up? I've heard about the way you dress when you go fishing...

Kirk

Float-n-fly widely used on the highland reservoirs here on the Cumberland Plateau. Norris lake, Lake Cimberland, and Dale Hollow. The "fly" is a small jig head with mallard or wood duck feathers. It is very effective on sm bass when the water is cold. It is typically a January pattern.

...the mere fact that I use a fly rod has already caused more than a few eyebrows to go up. Guess the scourge of conformity respects no boundaries.

You sure its the fly rod that causing eyebrows to go up? I've heard about the way you dress when you go fishing...

Kirk

I take exception to that, my friend. I'll have you know that I'm considered one of the most fashionable anglers in Wachapreague. In fact, I'm often photographed on the street in all my sartorial splendor.

post-281-0-46802000-1343923542_thumb.jpg

...I'll have you know that I'm considered one of the most fashionable anglers in Wachapreague. In fact, I'm often photographed on the street in all my sartorial splendor.

My suspicions confirmed! But you can just keep thinking its the flyrod raising eyebrows if it makes you feel better.

Kirk

I get alot of wierd looks here in iowa fly fishing the lakes out of my boat. My favorite thing people tell me is "are you fly fishing? Ya know theres no trout in here"... My response is " sure there are!...they love these 2/0 lime green poppers im throwin at em"

Kudu

Float-n-fly widely used on the highland reservoirs here on the Cumberland Plateau. Norris lake, Lake Cimberland, and Dale Hollow. The "fly" is a small jig head with mallard or wood duck feathers. It is very effective on sm bass when the water is cold. It is typically a January pattern.

Is this with a fly rod? I have never seen anyone with a flyrod on Dale Hollow. I do think that a medium sized popper fished at night and early morning would work on the Hollow though I have never done it.