Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Jfish

White puff?

I was at RMNP last week and I bought some white puff dry flies. I cannot seem to find the pattern online. I think it may have been white dubbing wrapped in CDC?

Does anyone know this pattern? Very productive for brookies there.

I was at RMNP last week and I bought some white puff dry flies. I cannot seem to find the pattern online. I think it may have been white dubbing wrapped in CDC?

dont you have one that you can take apart to identify the materials??

dont you have one that you can take apart to identify the materials??

I only bought 2. I lost one on a bush and the other my bro lost before it was even on a line. I doubt I would know what they are anyway.

Hi Jfish,

Do you remember what shop you bought the flies in? Do you know about what size they were? Was it a parachute type fly or an emerger? There are tons of white cdc winged dry flies and emergers out there. Brookies usually aren't too picky, so even a pattern that's close to what you were useing would probably work just about as good.

Regards,

Mark

The shop was Scots Sports in Estes Park.

It looked like a griffiths gnat wrapped with CDC instead of hackle. It doesn't look like the puff daddy. It's all white I think.

The shop was Scots Sports in Estes Park.

It looked like a griffiths gnat wrapped with CDC instead of hackle. It doesn't look like the puff daddy. It's all white I think.

The easiest solution would be to just contact them through their website and ask what the pattern is, and if they could let you know what materials are used for it. At the very least, they could tell you the specific name of the fly, even if it's one that they came up with. Since you bought the fly's from them, they should be more than willing to help you out. I've found that just about any place that's involved with fly fishing is about as generous as they come. I read their fishing reports page and didn't see any reference to the pattern that you're looking for.

Regards,

Mark

Alright, I just got off of the phone with them.

It's white ostrich herl, black thread, and black feathers for a tail.

She said to just use any black feather fibers (even chicken) and wrap the herl and then tie a black head. It's a dry fly.