Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Jfish

Midge dry flies

I was in RMNP and found out that some of the greenbacks are slurping super tiny midges on the surface. Does anyone have an idea of what kind of pattern these would be?

I don't even know where to locate super small hooks. The smallest I've found is a 24. I believe that something in a 26 or 28 would be even better.

I thought I'd post here instead of loading the beginner's corner up with new threads.

TIA

The hook you want is the Tiemco (TMC) 518. It comes in sizes 28, 30, and 32. There are a number of online shops that carry this hook. Just do a google search on the TMC 518.

Then simply tie a griffith gnat. If you don't have or can't find hackle small enough, use the smallest you have, and trim the hackle flush along the bottom of the hook.

Another option is to tie a Syl's Midge. He would tie these in size 16, for fishing much smaller midges. Try tying some up in a size 20 or 22.

Thanks for the replies!

I ordered some 28 518s. I'll try the gnat there. I think this will work for that location because literally it looked like the trout were drinking water because I couldn't see any bugs.

That is a nice link planetrout. I will tie some of those up as well. What is the deer hair used?

The hook you want is the Tiemco (TMC) 518. It comes in sizes 28, 30, and 32. There are a number of online shops that carry this hook. Just do a google search on the TMC 518.

Then simply tie a griffith gnat. If you don't have or can't find hackle small enough, use the smallest you have, and trim the hackle flush along the bottom of the hook.

Another option is to tie a Syl's Midge. He would tie these in size 16, for fishing much smaller midges. Try tying some up in a size 20 or 22.

Instead of trimming your hackle, try a dubbing loop with snowshoe hairs foot. You can trim the butts of the hair to suit the hook size. The same can be done with longer hackle fibers, just trim the butts and you'll have a perfectly tapered hackle loop.

Over the years i have gone through many saddles. Once in a while you can find very small hackle. I've have some hackles that are smaller then size 32.

Hope the dubbing loop trick helps with the gnats.

Thanks for the replies!

I ordered some 28 518s. I'll try the gnat there. I think this will work for that location because literally it looked like the trout were drinking water because I couldn't see any bugs.

That is a nice link planetrout. I will tie some of those up as well. What is the deer hair used?

Bleached Coastal deer hair from Nature's Spirit...

PT/TB

Where can I get a good video or tutorial on tying a super small griffilth gnat?

For very small (24 and smaller), I often forego the peacock herl and make a thread body.

I like to use strung peacock herl, it seems to be smaller in size then the ones i find on stem. You can use black ice dub as a sub. The smaller sizes of hackle will be found on necks. I like using 17/0 thread for the smaller sized flies (24 and smaller).

Here's an SBS for a gnat i enjoy tying

Hook sz 20-32 TMC or Daiichi

Thread uni 17/0

Body peacock herl

Hackle size 20-24 snowshoe hares foot in dubbing loop, size 26-32 hackle from upper portion of neck

Great practice for strength control on those smaller flies.

It sounds to me like various dubbing would work for those tiny things?

Just curious but did you get a look at the midges to tell their size? Before you go tying on 518's you can definately buy #28 tmc dry fly hooks which may work a bit better for you. You can always go a bit shorter on how you tie to downsize the fly.

Hans W. once showed me that you can strip the flue off a peacock herl and dub it for really small flies, though it takes a very deft touch. Also he uses two fibers teased from gel spun thread, twisted together, and wound onto an empty spool, for the thread.

There is always the technique of tying the fly short on a larger hook. It may let you tie it a size or two larger.

Cheers,

C.

Just to add about peacock herl. If you have peacock sword feathers, the smallest herl can be found on the opposite side of what's normally used from that type of feather. It will tie down to a Mustad 277 size 32 crystal hook, so it's plenty small enough for anything on the market now.

Regards,

Mark

Just to add about peacock herl. If you have peacock sword feathers, the smallest herl can be found on the opposite side of what's normally used from that type of feather. It will tie down to a Mustad 277 size 32 crystal hook, so it's plenty small enough for anything on the market now.

Regards,

Mark

I may have to buy some peacock swords. That may be the easiest thing for a beginner like me. I just bought a saddle neck from cabelas for $40 but it looks like I'll have to trim those down too.

midge.jpg

You might consider tying a reversed parachute, ala

I have been using it with considerable success when the micro caddis hatch goes off on a near by lake.

These micro caddis are in the 32-36 size range.

Kimo