Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Johnwvan

CDC loop wing emergers

I have lots of CDC and wanted to do some mayfly loop wing emergers. What

major hatches would use this pattern. Is there somewhere I can get colors

of body, tail, loop wing for each hatch?---Thanks---John

BWOcdcloopwingemerger145.jpg

I usually tie my emergers with the tails and abdomens to match the nymph. Then use dubbing that matches the emerging dun in the thorax. The CDC colors you would use of course would match the wings of the dun.

I usually use pheasant tail for the abdomen on PMDs then shades of olive tan and yellow for the thorax, Most of my wings would just be white.

To match a baetis hatch I would still use pheasant tail for the abdomen, then different shades of olive for the thorax. The wings on these would be gray.

My match for a Quill Gordon emerger would use the darkest goose quill or turkey tail for the abdomen. The thorax would be a slightly lighter gray with gray CDC wings.

A western Green Drake emerger I tie uses a dark olive brown dubbing for the abdomen, A bright olive for the thorax, with dark gray or black CDC.

A Hendrickson emerger would used a darker tan dubbed abdomen ribbed with dark brown thread. The thorax would be a lighter tan the wings would be gray CDC

The Blue Quill emerger would used gray goose fibers for the abdomen, lighter gray for the thorax, and gray CDC.

Cahills I would tie a light tan abdomen, with a cream thorax and white CDC.

I don't tie any emerger for the Gray Drakes (they mostly crawl out on rocks to hatch.)

In tying any of my emergers, I always vary the shades in the abdomen a little. PMDs can be quite different from stream to stream light olive, to tan with hints of yellow orange or pink depending on where they hatch. The same with baetis hatches, they won't all be just one shade of darker olive, some will have a little brown in them, and some are more gray.

Thats the way I do emergers, its just my way, and there are lots of different ways to do these.

Thank You! Excellent sounding patterns.I am guessing I also wouldn't need

an Isonchia emerger as they too crawl out to emerge although I have seen

a lot of Isonchia emerger patterns. Some say they do both depending on

water conditions? Thanks again for the help.---John

Gray Drake is the common name of the Isonichia, and I don't think it would be all that necessary. What part of the country are you in? The important hatches differ between the east, and west.

East---New England. The Gray Drake here is Siphlonurus quebbecensis and the

Isonchia I am familiar with is the Isonychia Bicolor, Leadwing Coachman or

better known to me as the White Gloved Howdy.---John

Your right, the Isonychia is locally known as the "Slate Drake" or Mahogany Dun in Pa. I have a different western fly that I call a mahogany dun, so I use the Slate Drake for the Isonychia.

Your Gray Drake could of course be imitated with an emerger. I have more success with emergers when fishing a lot of hatches. Of course, I tend to fish them much more.

I was in Pa 2 weekends ago. Was in Allentown when I had to make a U turn, ended up turning into Little

Lehigh River catch and release area! I had no idea it was there, just shorts and flip flops, on my way

with the wife to do some touring of Lancaster and Valley Forge. How is that river to fish? I was looking

at coming back to Pa this fall and trying my luck.Is there more catch and release areas on that river or in

that area? Thanks---John