Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
boutdoors

Fly vise

Hi all,

Not wanting to start an argument,but as I am still new to tying what is a good first rotating vise to get. I am loking for something in the $150-$200 range what are your likes and dislikes.

Thanks,

Robert

i have a renzetti traveler

i added the fly plate which was exspensive for what it is but worth every dollar

the only maintenance i have done to the vise in 15yrs is replace the O rings on the head & added a thumb screw for the plastic knob.

i tie everyday so thats 5$ to maintain it in at least 15yrs.

i also have a regal but think the renzetti rotates in a truer line

a little advise for any beginner, use what you can afford until you get to where you feel you can justify paying for the higher priced vises. I have been tying for 32 years and still use an old thompson vise my dad gave me for my 6th birthday. I have other vises I use but never paid more than $35 for one. I am considering getting a peak rotary myself, maybe for x-mas.

now I'll have to accidentally leave this page up for the wife to accidentally see, lol.

first of all, there are "rotary" and "true rotary" vises. "true rotary" rotates the hook on the hooks centerline, a "rotary" does not.

see photos here

http://www.swedneckflyfishing.com/rotaryvise.htm

as a beginner, do you really need a rotary vise when a stationary one will do until you reach the experience level where you MIGHT need a rotary vise.

what is the purpose that necessitates your need for a rotary vise? if you need it to see the other side if your ribbing or hackling a fly body. if it looks good on your side it should look equally the same on the other side.

rotary vises do not magically turn beginner tyers into intermediate/expert tyers overnight.

learn the basic techniques first before considering switching to anything rotary.

this may be odd and I've heard other tyers mention it, but the longer they own a rotary vise the less they use the rotary function. I've owned one of the original renzetti traveler vises and the only time i use the rotary function is for painting poppers. i can palmer a hackle or rib a fly with wire or dub a fly with dubbind wraps all without using the rotary function. the rotary function did not teach me how to do these things. techniques did.

but if you're dead set on a rotary vise, take a look at the regal and griffin brands and GOOGLE "rotary vises" for other very good brands

its all up to you. its your choice. just thought i'd throw in some advice.