Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
guitarplayingfishingguy

If only I had a club....

Well, I went down to the river for the first time since spring and waded around with the fly rod. Saw a few fish jump. Then my buddy on the high banks spotted a "big fish behind a rock" it came after my fly after a few casts but then I spooked it. On my way back in I came accross 2 massive fish in the shallows where the current swirls up (about 3 feet away) They looked like big browns but possibly could've been pike... I'm pretty sure the were browns by the way the slowly drifted sideways back into the hole. It happens to me every time I see one... All the ones I actually hook manage to wiggle or roll their way off. :huh: Maybe I'll get my first brown when I walk back down there tomorrow :ph34r:

We all started with that happening. Give it time, sure enough it'll come together. You just need to pinpoint what you're doing wrong... wading, holding your rod wrong, drag, tippet/leader length, fly selection... I suppose I could go on for hours lol but I dont want to sound patronizing :P

Keep at em!

I crawl to the stream edge where I fish steelhead, it makes a difference. Also everyone thats with me has to shut the F*** up!

I think staying low, line placement (not to spook but in their face), and then the movement of your fly (natural drift to fast retrieves) are the most critical things. I would focus less on things like fly selection and so on. Although once the first things are satisfied, then I would try different flies and colors. Also, I always go with the longest leader/tippet as possible. As long as you can turn a fly over, only certain things should cause a shorter leader/tippet (wind, weighted fly, ect..). When I have trouble with hooking/keeping fish hooked, I will bend the point of the hook slightly away from the shank (downwards) then slightly to the left or right to offset it. Only down side is the fly becomes a bit more nonweedless.

It sounds to me that you're spooking the fish. As Ruffels said, stay low, really low. Fish can see you standing on the bank, or wading. Watch you shadow on the water.Fish associate humans with danger. Also, try not to "line" the fish with your line, that will spook them.

Bill

If they are indeed big browns: in addition to the excellent advice above, the fish will be much less wary in low light conditions. I'm talking about after sunset and VERY early in the morning. Also, nasty days when the rain's coming down in buckets. Big zonkers, leeches, streamers, etc. are usually your best bet. Even a deer hair mouse or an (Atlantic salmon) bomber fly might induce a strike. Hunting big browns is about as challenging as trout fishing gets, and IMHO, it's the most fun. Just keep at it and you'll score eventually.

It is amazing what spooks fish and what doesn't. A Brittany swimming through the hole doesn't and a pea sized rock stepped on wrong sends them fleeing, do trout scream, for cover.

post-3361-0-93614500-1346002084_thumb.jpg

post-3361-0-55364700-1346002109_thumb.jpg

I love large Browns and these photos were on the Davidson River. A place where trout are selective and can be very skitterous, especially the trophy area. If I mended the line wrong it put the good fish down. My dog could go up and swim over them without effect.

Lost fish are just things to keep you up at night. It WAS your fault you lost the fish.

Increase your odds of hooking up with a big brown by using a bead-head pheasant tail flashback nymph tied on a size 14 scud hook. Now I'm gonna have to kill you... Ha Ha! Just kidding :) Good luck!