Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
C LeBo

The Bass-pedo

Upon testing some of my early poppers with a wary eye, I noticed that if they were stripped for too long, they would begin to spin in the water. Then I noticed the front face was at an angle, which caused it to spin. So it gave me an idea for a new fly. On the fly below, I exaggerated the face problem be carving it at angle. The result is a fly that spins very fast in the water when stripped, it has awesome action, and creates a LOT of commotion. Oh yeah, before cementing the cork to the hook, I tied in a treble hook and after painting, cut off the single. I'll have to try to show the swim test of the fly, because it's very cool. Has anyone ever heard of a similar fly to this?

Enjoy!

Thabk You and Tight Lines,

Carson LeBoeuf

post-43009-0-65763000-1344555455_thumb.jpg

post-43009-0-13315200-1344555473_thumb.jpg

post-43009-0-26186800-1344555486_thumb.jpg

post-43009-0-85079400-1344555528_thumb.jpg

Make sure you use a swivel, or that'll turn your line into a bird's nest in about 2 feet of retrieve lol! But awesome idea, it looks really good.

Good idea. if you think about when they cut plug for salmon on the west coast that is what they do. cut a frozen herring on a 45 dg angle and then it rolls through the water like an injured herring. never thought about translating it into a fly though, good thinking!

Marc

Great idea. I would advise changing your snap link to a design like this

post-42518-0-64934800-1344608946_thumb.jpg

Or a Mustad Haiwaiian Snap Clips style clip. I have found that the type in your pic, or the type were the arm pokes up through a small circle part, ALL pull apart under pressure, unless you step the size up so big it detracts from the lure you're using.

The type in the pic I will put money on, never opening with line under 30lb before something else in your rig gives way. Even in the tiny sizes.

Glad you guys like it! Piker, where do you buy those swivels? They look like they'll be perfect for my use.

Called Duo-Lock Snaps and a few folk market them. Some with swivel and some without but fitting a swivel isn't hard.

Sloping the face back on a cork or balsa bug will make a diver out of it. If you taper the sides back, from the front center line, it will definitely wobble from side to side. Reversing the body of a standard bullet-shaped bug on the hook so that the rounded rear end is pointing forward will make a slider body.

You can do all kinds of things by simply altering the front end of the bug. These guys are divers.

Cheers,

Frank

post-8431-0-08058900-1344696031_thumb.jpg

post-8431-0-32450200-1344696062_thumb.jpg