Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Undertow

Synthetic hair for large flies

Hello,

With fall approaching quickly I've started tying up large EP fiber streamers for pike and muskie. Any suggestions on EP style materails? J. Stockard has a bunch and I know there are alot of products on the market that are alot cheaper than the EP fibers.

Thanks

Undertow

i like to use the islandic sheep hair,nice light long fibers,and a good amount of colors,or ultra hair,it is a synthetic.

Try H2O slinky fibre. It has bigger volume then ep fibres. You can make really big flies that weigh very little.

SF Flasblend is one of my favorite materials for baitfish flies. It's stiffer than EP fibers but makes great baitfish patterns using the same hi/low tying method

Thanks fellas,

I'm going to give all of it a little try. I've got a few weeks to experiment before the long days of endless casting begin!

Undertow

Not arguing your price point, but I have found that the EP Fiber packages are much larger than say a package of Ultra Hair. I can tie 30 flies out of a package of EP Fibers. Also another material don't know how much shine you put into your flies but I love ICE WING it is a thinner flash material great for bait fish

This is one of my go to Musky and Pike flies.

EP Purple 3d bottom, red flashabou, and congo hair black on top.

I like the EP 3d purple stuff, thats why I use that for this particular fly instead of doing all Congo Hair.

As someone else mentioned SF Blend stuff works great too.

IMG_9648.jpg

IMG_9646-2.jpg

This is one of my go to Musky and Pike flies.

EP Purple 3d bottom, red flashabou, and congo hair black on top.

I like the EP 3d purple stuff, thats why I use that for this particular fly instead of doing all Congo Hair.

As someone else mentioned SF Blend stuff works great too.

IMG_9648.jpg

IMG_9646-2.jpg

Chefben4,

Thats exactly what I've been tying up. I have one in all white, white and grey, both with grizzly hackle running the entire length. I bought and tied with the EP fibers prolly 6 years ago but I never really fished them. I have the same kind of eyes as you and I'm worried about how it will fish. Do they spin or will it track straight? I plan to use various sink tips to get the flies down but I've been considering using large lead eyes to make sure they track right.

Undertow

Chefben, how well does that fly sink or does that matter for muskie, I know sink rate matters alot when fishing for Trout and Redfish

I dont use any lead eyes on those flies. For musky i am fishing at most 16ft if i had to guess and i use scientific angler wet tip express in 350 grain (est 6" per second). I use a fast action 9 wt with it for all my musky fishing. The fly tracks fine for me, never noticed an issue with how it swims really. The issue i have with musky/pike and synthetic like EP it is usually a one a done deal.

Underneath all that is a 6/0 hook, so if you cant tell its a beast. Any other questions or need some more pics/ideas let me know!

Ben

I got ya, I didn't realize how big the hook was, just though it was a big pattern, I can tie a pattern than large on some 2/0 or 3/0 hooks, a 6/0 hook is HUGE haha, the main hook I usually tie on is a sz 4 Gamakatsu Exec Series, love those hooks

Fly Tyers Dungeon has a lot of what you're looking for on the cheap. Good quality too.

http://www.flytyersdungeon.com/

Thanks for that link... good stuff

Around the holidays FTD sells his "Christmas boxes."

An unbelievable amount of fly tying material for the price. I purchase a box last year and I've barely made a dent in my stash.