Fly Tying
Li'lDave

Snook swap

I'm good with what ever comes. I'm using a 2/0 for this pattern. I would probably think nothing smaller than a 1/0 but that's just me.

the Barra here can be finicky at times, and smaller flies will often work when the larger ones fail. Particularly when they are keyed in on prawns or smaller baitfish.

Thanks for your input. I checked out your website. Lot of very interesting fish photos.

Out of curiosity, how big was that one Barra in your pictures? Looked easy 30 plus. Beautiful fish for sure!

I live in Melbourne Fla.(prime snook country) and I am sending you a shrimp tied on a #2 because this time of large snook the year the shrimp in this area run rather small and I have found that you do not need a large fly or hook to nail a large snook.

I live in Melbourne Fla.(prime snook country) and I am sending you a shrimp tied on a #2 because this time of large snook the year the shrimp in this area run rather small and I have found that you do not need a large fly or hook to nail a large snook.

Fantastic. And I agree totally. Large flies are not necessary. At times the Barra do the same and key in on inch long jelly prawns.

Salty bum, that one wasn't weighed, but was in the order of 125cm ... Or 50 inches. 30lb easy.

P.G. Beckett

The shrimp I am sending in tied on a #1 and it worked real well on the trout in the ML. I would be very interested in your experiance on the snook since I have never got to try them on snook. You should be able to throw it into the heavy stuff if needed. My best color was the tan color but it could be tied in any color. It is all straight forward and the body is just craft fur cut to desired length and spread evenly in a dubbing loop and wound on like hackle.

I tied the last 3 for the swap this morning and they are not on a #1. They are on a #2. The first ones I tried were on a #6 but the trout were taking them very deep. I went to the #2 hook and I found that the trout were not taking them near as deep. Live and learn.

I tied mine up on #1 Stainless cause I've found fish in snags don't need anything too big when you cast into their crib. Happy to do a set smaller or bigger if want as I might redo my set a third time. :rolleyes: Or you might all get two sorts off me, Oh well its only threads and feathers. :rolleyes:

I'm tying up some Tarpon style flies in #1 & stainless hooks....I've already attached all the weedguards!!

I'm tying up some Tarpon style flies in #1 & stainless hooks....I've already attached all the weedguards!!

Very nice. They will get used!

Thanks Rich!

Seems we're struggling for the last slot. I'll close it then, and tie another, more conventional style whistler.

Any extras should go to Rich for his awesome help in this!

Swap is full!

I tied up 4 chartreuse things last night. There will be a selection ,.50-50 collars either hackle or zonker.

They'll be ready for the mail on Monday.

Mine are tied and ready to go. I do have a question since I have not done a swap here before.

How do you handle the return postage? Checking the swap rules page I didn't see anything on it.

Thanks

Try to put enough in to cover return postage, and make sure you've included a self addressed envelope.

Rich should be able to help more. domestic mail should be easier than myself coming internationally.

Speaking of which.... I need to find some us dollars.

Better look for gold. Those Federal Reserve Notes won't be worth squat much longer the way things are going.LOL

Gotta keep yo sense of humor, I always say. :D

Guest rich mc

in most swaps you would place the flies in a crush proof container inside an envelope to the sm along with another self addressed envelope.this can be pre stamped or just put ina few bucks to cover the costof resending . lately i have found a bunch of cardboard jewelry boxes. i cut the ends of two boxes and tape them together to handle the larger flies . this should be a nice swap. richmc