Fly Tying
Li'lDave

Snook swap

As some of you may or may not know my mates and I fished the 2012 Hinchinbrook Flyfishing Challenge last weekend (a catch and release tournament for us lowly saltwater fly fishers). It was a great couple of days, and Marty and I came so close to a podium finish, which we're thinking is pretty good for a couple of hacks :rolleyes: :)

Anyway. My fly of choice for the weekend (as mentioned above) was my pink and white marabou thing that I've tied for this swap. I think it accounted for all bar one of my fish (which coincidentally fell to a pink over white Lefty's Deceiver). Here are a couple of pics from the weekend.... Apologies in advance for my ugly mug making an appearance in one of them.

the morning conditions, day 1

post-22241-0-29619500-1348350894_thumb.jpg

Any fish caught over 30cm (12 inches) is a scorer, and you got bonus points for catching 3 or more during each day of the tournament.

57.7cm barramundi (3mm short of legal)

post-22241-0-32199700-1348350713_thumb.jpg

flathead

post-22241-0-37400800-1348351041_thumb.jpg

queenfish

post-22241-0-56600400-1348351147_thumb.jpg

little "giant" trevally

post-22241-0-19538200-1348351189_thumb.jpg

Awesome fish Dave. That queenfish looks an awful lot like our pompano. How are those eating wise? Pomps are some of the best tasting fish in the sea

Awesome fish Dave. That queenfish looks an awful lot like our pompano. How are those eating wise? Pomps are some of the best tasting fish in the sea

They're not bad fresh mate. a few thin slices marinated in lemon juice and muah! beautiful. The flesh is quite firm and holds itself quite well. However they are very skinny fish and you need a good sized specimen to get a decent feed out of it.

How is the wind treating ya. Getting you wet yet? :rolleyes:

Glad to hear they arrived....hope they suit the fishys... :lol:

Murray

Wet and windy for 2 days now, but I am backshift so it makes for good daytime sleeping weather... :lol: It better clear up next week so I gat at least 1-2 days of fishing weather before the season ends... :unsure:

Murray

Just one set mate. My understanding is that they are on their way to Rich's place.

Scratch that if we've got DJgungter's flies that makes all of them!

Well done everyone. Can't wait to see them!

Guest rich mc

all flies are here and will be swapped tonight. wife will be mailing them tomorrow congrats to all the tyers for a fine job. rich mc

Can I just say a big thank you to all of the participants in this one. we all did amazingly well to get the flies in just about on time, and the rumour is that the set looks great.

I for one can't wait to see them and am hoping they arrive before 1 November when this years barramundi closed season begins.

Thanks again! It's been a real pleasure. And a big shout out to Rich, who has gone out of his way to do all of the hard work for this one. Thanks mate.