Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
BSMFB

firefly

Supposedly, fireflies emit a substance that can be distasteful and/or toxic to predators. There are a lot of reports of captive non-native lizards dying after eating fireflies. If that's the case, (a big IF) I can't imagine they'd be much of an attraction to a trout. What I do know for sure is that they stink.

steeves_firefly.jpg

http://www.danica.com/flytier/fthompson/steeves_firefly.htm

Fireflies are one of my dearest childhood memories of living in rural New Jersey. When my parents moved to Los Angeles, I forgot about them. Now that I am in Wisconsin, I see then whenever I fish at night. For you firefly lovers and I am one of them, here is an article about them.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/30/science/30firefly.html?_r=1

BTW, trout do eat them. They have been reported as toxic to some lizards but I have not found a reference that says they are toxic to fish.

OK, but where did you put the battery?

Have you ever actualy seen a firefly in daylight? I have not. Does it gl;ow the too or only at night?

Rocco

I've seen plenty of them in daylight, but they don't seem to be flashing their lights. Maybe it's voluntary, I don't really know. I remember reading somewhere that each species of firefly has its own unique flashing code. There are actually some species that will mimic other species' codes and attack them when they come looking for firefly babes. (you can't trust anybody any more) I don't know what all this has to do with fly tying, but it's just one more example of the useless factoids that compulsive readers pick up from time to time.